Saxophone Forum

by joshbezerra
(2 posts)
19 years ago

hello everybody i'm new to the site and i've been playing the saxaphone since i was 12 years old on and off>> now that i'm 24 i have been playing for 5 months non-stop i mean not playing gigs.. u know Practicing and now i want to but a new mouthpieces and a literature.. but i want to buy a good mouthpieces and literature/// i have a tenor sax.. its a Quest Tenor Saxaphone Ser # 55184... can anybody tell me which mouthpieces and literature is a good one... and also the sax that i have is it a good brand ????

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New Member

Hello, joshbezerra, I don't have advice on mouthpieces other than to say try to find a dealer who will let you try before you buy, see what works best for your saxophone. I have never heard of Quest, which suggests it may be somewhat of an off brand, but some off brand horns can be good. If you ask for literature, you'll be shown sheet music. I think you are looking to ask for a ligature (the thing that holds the reed on the mouthpiece). Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Joshbezerra, I'm not familiar with Quest saxophones. My guess is that it is an Asian copy of a Selmer, as there are so many of them on the market sold under different names. As long as the pads and keys seem to be holding up ok, I'd just save up some money and maybe think about upgrading down the road. A lot of these cheaper Asian saxophones don't have the best pads, and the keys are made of softer metal and bend or break easy. What kind of tone are you looking for? The mouthpieces that come with some of these cheaper saxophones are not very good. If you're on a budget, try a Rico Royal graftonite mouthpiece. I use them on tenor, alto and baritone, and they sound great! Best of all, they cost around $20! An Otto Link Super Tone Master is a great sounding metal, and www.giardinelli.com sells them for around $110. The Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber pieces are nice too. I use one for alto. I like Meyer pieces too. I prefer a piece with an open chamber, and a medium facing.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by joshbezerra
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

hey thanks for your advice.... so how long have you been playing the sax??

Reply To Post