Saxophone Forum

by someguy
(80 posts)
19 years ago

Sticky pad is back

I am bringing this up again because it is such an important subject. I responded acouple of days ago to this issue, I dont know if anyone tried it or just thought I was crazy. To fix those sticky pads go to Lowes, H depot and buy a bottle of Formby's "Build Up Remover". Put it on a rag or Q tip, rub the pad then the tone hole. You will not believe what comes off. The liquid is green and willnot damage the laquer or leather at all. A very wise repair guy told me that, and it works like a champ. I own a JK sx90r alto and it stopped the sticking. Once again I appologize to the repair tech out there, the secret is out. This post is for you saxismyaxe, I cant believe you put all that stuff on your horn. Hope this helps:)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sticky pad is back

"This post is for you saxismyaxe, I cant believe you put all that stuff on your horn. Hope this helps:)" No Sir. I have been at this for over 30 years, and don't have a sticking problem on any but the newest repad on a few of the nearly 40 horns in my collection (Don't ask, I need help!). As I mentioned in the other post, this problem is endemic with new pad manufacturing methods/materials, and doesn't happen nearly as often with older dated pads. I have collected the advice of many a fellow saxophonist and repair tech, and was merely naming a few of the most popular tips that have become part of repair tech lore of late. None really provides an ultimately permanent solution to the condition. By the way, the Old English polish tip mentioned in my earlier post, has essentially the same chemicals as the Formby product, and does do a good job, but the condition can return after time. I do want to thank you for your sincere concern, though. :)

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
      (80 posts)

19 years ago

Okay, didnt mean to offend. How did you lean about the new materials and method for newer pads? Why would there not be better material with the technology available nowadays? I also agree, it is not a perminant fix but it does work well.

Reply To Post

1. by joe812119
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

ive used lighter fluid for 15 years or better and it works great. i was told this by a retired repair man.

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

I have heard of many people using butane. The only problem I have with that is that it is highly flammable. As is the Formby's Im sure. I am not going to use it, I'm sceared.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Charlie A's magic gig dust. It's available through wwbw, and it works great! Give it a try.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Some modern replacement pads feel like plastic, and some feel like fine furniture leather. A lot of it has to do with the way the leather is prepared. In terms of pad leather, you certainly get what you pay for, I've found.

Reply To Post

4. by Chuck8133
          (16 posts)

19 years ago

Its almost always the G# pad sticking, I replace that pad with a Saxgourmet or Musicmedic kangaroo pad, (if I haven't already done the whole sax with these pads)..they don't stick.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Take a piece of very find sand paper or sanding cloth; like 1000 grit, and run it over the tone hole a couple times. Then, apply a little Charlie A's gig dust to the pad. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

If you think about it, it would be awesome to have a flaming horn at a live gig(if you used butane). You start to rip an awesome solo and all of a sudden, all of your key holes burst into flame, and don't go out till you finish your solo. That would be freakin' sweet.

Reply To Post

7. by argonne
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

Once the fire goes out, try lightly pressing the affected key down with a piece of wax paper between it and the tone hole. Its not a permanent fix, but works well in a pinch. Got that from my old instructor/repair man.

Reply To Post

8. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

That sounds like it would work, but the reason the pad is sticking is because of too much sediment build up right?, why add more?

Reply To Post

9. by kitnachi
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

on mine it sticks horribly but I think it is cause I press to hard n I don't know how to fix that, but have u ever considered your bar on it is bent, that can be a major problem... but I don't think that is my problem...

Reply To Post AIM

10. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard a lot of good things about Charlie A's Gig dust! I dont know about all this flammable stuff, wouldn't give off a smell?

Reply To Post

11. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Only one way to find out. Mwahahahahahahahahahaha.................hahahaha..................haha.............................ha................................h.....a..

Reply To Post

12. by prophet
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

flemingrepair.com/kangaroopads.html If you have the money for them.

Reply To Post