Saxophone Forum

by saxpower
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Low notes on Tenor

Folks- I've always had difficulty playing middle c, low b, and low b-flat on my tenor, but over the last year or so, I've been having more difficulty. I am using a C* mouthpiece a a 2 1/2 plasticover reed. Any suggestions as to techniques for helping with this?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Low notes on Tenor

When is the last time your horn has been serviced?

Reply To Post

1. by saxpower
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

I had all the pads replaced last summer

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Aha! As your pads break in, sometimes the regulation needs to be adjusted as leaks can develop. It happens gradually over time. You should have the horn checked over by a reliable tech before doing anything else to try to address the problem.

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

Definetly have check-up. You might try some different mouthpiece/reed combinations. Depending on your budget and availability, even a diffetent neck can make a difference. On the other hand, there is no substitute for long tone practice. :-)

Reply To Post

2. by Poirier
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Is this true for new horns as well? If so, what is the timeframe, i.e. when should the horn be inspected next?

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

If it's playing great, then leave things alone, but a few months of daily playing will settle things in. Once adjusted at that point, things should be good for the rest of a year, for the most part. This is where the difference between high quality and low quality horns comes into play. How they stand up over the long haul. Depending on the types of base materials, manufacturing processes, screws, etc that are used - the horn will maintain it's regulation for a longer time on a quality instrument than on one made using lesser materials. Even a junk horn can be adjusted to sound great, but will it require a trip to the tech every 1-2 months to keep it sounding good?

Reply To Post

4. by nectarios
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

I also find the lower notes (E4-Bb3) to get right 100% It was completely hit and miss last week, but since then I figured that if I try to say "awww" and drop my chin a bit, whilst mainting embouchure so the notes will be in tune, it helps getting them right down to C4, but not always correct for lower than that. If I take a bit more mouthpiece in then I'm hitting the right 8ve on the lower notes 100% But, is this the correct way to play? You people have said that it is imperative that I get things right from the beggining. I had similar problems with the 2nd 8ve, simple pressing the 8ve key did not always work, but tightening up my embouchure helped getting the right notes always (also works getting 2nd 8ve right hand notes without using the 8ve key, in tune as well!)

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

It takes time to develop the right embouchre. The things you are describing are exactly how you discover what works for you - which may not work for others. Your oral and throat cavity are as individual as your mouthpiece. You can over/underride the octave mechanism with your embouchre to a certain extent. Best to have a competant player try ot your gear to make sure that you are starting out on the right foot.

Reply To Post