Saxophone Forum

by tribegirl
(5 posts)
19 years ago

recently learning the alto sax.

Hey! I’ve just recently been learning the alto sax. I’m having trouble playing a Db/C# in my scales. The problem I’m having, is that, because no finger covers any key, I’m not able to shift my weight anywhere. Then when I play the note it comes out sounding bad. Does anyone have a helpful tip of me? Thanks, The beginner; TribeGirl

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by someguy
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: recently learning the alto sax.

Hang in there. Do yourself a favor, get professional instruction from a qualified and compitent teacher. I think thats your best bet, it is money well spent for a beginner. Good Luck and dont quit!

Reply To Post

1. by jaggtagg7
      (40 posts)

19 years ago

yeah even if u only take lessons for like 2 weeks just to get some basic playing stuff, its very helpfull. thats what i ended up doing b/c i couldnt afford lessons

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

You shouldnt have to shift your weight anywhere when playing different notes on your horn. Let your neckstrap support and balance the horn, that will make it easier to do that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax-mania
          (1 post)

19 years ago

Hi, Not fully sure what you mean but if it`s you don`t feel you have control of the sax when playing c# then a good tip is to keep your right hand fingers pressed down on the d, e, f keys. This will still give you c# and make the sax more stable.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like you need to adjust your neck strap.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by tribegirl
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you all for being so helpful. You are all so nice. I’ve read some other posts on this forum, seems like a friendly forum. Ya, I adjusted my neck strap and instantly noticed a big difference. I’m planning on getting a professional instructor soon. I’m thinking it would be a good idea to learn all my basis scales first. Thank you all. TribeGirl

Reply To Post