Saxophone Forum

by retromom
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Sax Newbie

Hi all, Just wanted to introduce myself . I'm a 50 year old alto sax BEGINNER :). I've had three lessons and i'm loving it so far. Any tips or suggestions to move me along would be appreciated greatly. I rent a Selmer student sax right now and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a Saxophone that is made by musicwerks? the salesperson says it's comparable to a Selmer semi pro???????? My other question is about neck starps..... I find that mine sit high on my neck and become uncomfortable and cumbersome. I have the padded one that came with the sax and I bought an unpadded one but they both seen to bother me.Does anyone make one that rests lower ? I'm almost 5'1 and I'm still looking for that comfort zone as far as holding the wt. of the sax Thanks Vicki

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by justanothersaxguy
    (58 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax Newbie

Check at wwbw.com for a strap that might be helpful. They're a huge mailorder music store in Indiana. (Great place for a visit). But they have a strap for the sax that is kind of like a harness - I've only seen pictures- but it supports the weight of the horn by both shoulders (vs. the neck).

Reply To Post

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

I whole heartedly agree with justanothersaxguy. I have also seen those straps at wwbw.com. By the way, if you ever think that you'll never get better, you're wrong. it'll just take time.

Reply To Post

1. by justanothersaxguy
        (58 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, West. You just made me chuckle. You made me think of something when you said, "By the the way, if you ever think that you'll never get better, you're wrong. it'll just take time." I rented a flute last August. I was going to try to learn to play. It got me frustrated, and I packed it in. I thought it was me, and I was too impatient to learn (I'm 45, and already an "old dog" or something, I guess). Anyway, one of my sons started playing flute in school. He was doing alright, but he wanted lessons. I told him if he would work at it, I'd buy him a new one. He did. I did. He finds it is MUCH better than the rental. The kick in the head is that I didn't realize until you just offered that encouragement to Newbie that I think part of my frustration wasn't me - it was the flute. Maybe I'll buy a new one like I bought my son, and give it another go. The moral of the story? I guess you just never know who will get something good out of what you say here. Thanks. I think I'll give it another go.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

the Neotech harnesses and straps are GREAT!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Jellybean666
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

just a word to justanothersaxguy, i play the flute too, and i was pretty much crap until one day, it just clicked, lol, i cant explain it, but seriously, after a while of playing with terrible tone and everything, it just all slid into place! So you just have to keep going at it until it does {and yea, the best flute to get ia a yamaha, i used to play a buffet, but the tone was awful!! The flute you play really does matter, heh}

Reply To Post

3. by justanothersaxguy
          (58 posts)

19 years ago

I'm going to give it another try, people. Thanks for the encouragement.

Reply To Post