Saxophone Forum

by Saxlover70
(14 posts)
8 years ago

Need Info on Vintage Tenor

Alright I am fixing up this old Tenor saxophone, on the bell it says "Rene Duval" on it, serial is 9XXX. I picked it up for 160 bucks, doing a complete rebuild on it, well I am going to perserve the petina it gotten. So now from my research it's a stencil company made by Orsi which go insides with the "Made in Italy" stamp on the bow of the bell. And the serial I believe would put it roughly in the late 40's early 50's. I am in love with the horn regardless, I been searching for a vintage tenor for months and found this hiding in someone's closet for 9 years. Oh and it was the laquered finish which odly eough is holding up in many parts of it but it had started aging beautifully. But I can't find any history on this tenor, so maybe someone on here would know. I hope they do.

So I am fixing it, it's pretty rough but it's complete minus the mouth piece, I threw it away since it was nasty beyond beleif or any amount of cleaner. I even bought nice black leather pads with resionaters, new springs, well most were fine but a few were very weak. But I'm excited to finally get my hands on a vintage sax from what I heard these horn in playing condition are worth around a grand or a grand and a half. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Need Info on Vintage Tenor

Enjoy your project, but don't believe that it will end up worth anything even close to a grand when you're done.  Back in the day, Italian no-name horns were in the niche that cheap Chinese horns occupy today, with a lot of the same issues.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxlover70
      (14 posts)

8 years ago

Oh okay, thanks for the info. :)

In total I will have about 340 invested once it's all said and done including buyig it. So really I'm not in that deep. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

8 years ago

I fully understand the fun of refurbishing an old relic and getting it playing better than it ever has. I prefer the Conn Straight Neck C melody horns. Most minds here feel they are worthless. I disagree fully, find the profit margin extremely good, they are built like a cadillac, and I enjoy a job well done. I always have five or more of them awaiting my work bench whenever I have free time away from working on a clients horn. Enjoy your project. Do the work well. You will end up with a horn you wont want to part with in any way shape or form.

Reply To Post