Saxophone Forum

by kitnachi
(41 posts)
19 years ago

Baris and chord changes

I want to get my hands on a Jazz Bari solo piece (only me playing) for my solo ensemble contest next year, does anybody have any recomondations? I also would like to know if anybody knows a good place to learn chord changes.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Baris and chord changes

Cant think of a good Jazz bari solo, but to learn your chord changes, get the book "Around the Horn" by Walt Weiskoph. That book will kick your ass all over every page.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by kitnachi
      (41 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks that will help, anyother suggestions, solos for the alto might work to because it is only one octave lower..

Reply To Post AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

19 years ago

alto solos wont work. just because its an octave lower doesnt mean a thing. chords and pitches are stacked with so many subtones and whatnot. and playing somthing an octave lower with chords built for somthin an octave higher is just a breeding ground for bad chords and pitch.. buuuttt check out a song called "prelude to a kiss" later

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by kitnachi
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

well I also play the alto, but where would I find that song??

Reply To Post AIM

2. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

noooo clue bro.. a lot of ppl say jwpepper.com is a good place.. try there.. its a bari feature

3. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

noooo clue bro.. a lot of ppl say jwpepper.com is a good place.. try there.. its a bari feature

2. by kitnachi
        (41 posts)

19 years ago

well I don't know if that is the right thing for me though, any other suggestions?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Check out some Mulligan stuff man

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

jazz solos sophisticated ladies body and soul most of the solo festival stuff i know is all classical i geuss we have a jazz competition too but the piece solo i do is sonata - hartley its a grade 6 (out of 6)

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not sure how ballads fly at festival, but how about "My Funny Valentine". That's one of my favorites to play on bari.

Reply To Post

2. by kitnachi
              (41 posts)

19 years ago

well it is really hard to find stuff for baritone saxaphones which really stinks for me but thanks for the help, I still need help learning chord changes though, I want to learn how to do REAL jazz solos.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

For the solos, and jazz in general, live religiously by the Around the horn book. Also, make sure you have the charlie parker omni book, it should be like your bible, and dont be able to simply whats in it, MEMORIZE whats in it, so you can draw ideas from that at will! Lastly, Abersold's blues in all keys will prove very useful

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by kitnachi
              (41 posts)

19 years ago

It sounds good but it doesn't look like those books teach you chord changes how they work, does it do that?

Reply To Post AIM