Saxophone Forum

by SaxMan88
(318 posts)
19 years ago

Looking for an alto ligiature

I'm eyeing Vandoren Optimium, Rovner Eddie Daniels, and BG Super Soloist. I primarily have a jazz setup, so obviously I don't want a ligiature that's going to darken my sound. Opinions would be great! Thanx!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Looking for an alto ligiature

get a Francois Louis

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Rovner Eddie Daniels ligs are versatile. I've been happy with them on sop and tenor - haven't used one on alto, though. Bonade Inverted ligs are also a great lig that won't kill your tone or your pocketbook. A simple design, too.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

19 years ago

No not Bonade inverted but the regular it is less bright and responds better it also does the right thing it pushes towards the middle of the reed

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

I just got a Rovner Dark for my tenor... Nice...it doesn't darken my sound like it seem it might...if anything it aids my sound making it full and minimizes squeakiness that comes from a bad ligiature. I appreciate all the replies. What do you guys think of the Rovner Dark?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Its a great lig, I use it with a few of my pieces. Of Rovner, I prefer my ROvner lights and Eddie Daniels ligs the most. The Light is awesome!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by bmcguire
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

I use Winslow ligatures on most of my horns but they are very hard to find. I do have John Winslows personal phone number so if anybody wants one let me know. I am loyal to John's setup because he has been very friendly and helpful over the years and I still think they're the best but.. If I was buying a lig today considering availablity I would recommend the Olegature. It's the next best thing to my Winslows! The Rover Eddie Daniels II is really nice as well

Reply To Post

3. by ignis
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Hi I'm interested in winslow ligatures please send me an e-mail

Reply To Post

4. by ignis
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Hi I'm interested in winslow ligatures please send me an e-mail

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

19 years ago

grab an oleg, theyre the best

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Alright, for those recommending an Olegature... Why am I paying $60 for a lig? I did see something interesting about it tho...I think Gordon Goodwin plays his Oleg inverted...meaning the steel expandable cloth or whatever it's called is on the reed instead of the bolts being on them. So that means you could play it standard and inverted...but other than that what's so hot about it? Thanx in advance!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Olegatures are a little pricey. They are a good lig though. I have had really good luck with the Rovners, and I have used them on soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone. The Eddie Daniels are nice, but even the standard Rovner Dark ligs are really nice, and for an alto, you should be able to find one for around $22. Rovner has a new EVO 5 lig out too that looks a lot like an Eddie Daniels, and they sell for around $40 I think. They're a little more versatile.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

EVO 5...ima have to look at that...thanx Jim.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I am now the owner of a Rovner Dark Lig. It has really helped my sound. Brightened my sound quite a bit with Vandoren ZZ reeds. *grins*

Reply To Post