Saxophone Forum

by Renate
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Which one is the best Selmer alto sax?

I am thinking of buying one (preferably second hand, as I will have about £ 1000 to spend) and wondering which one to buy and where, also whether vintage or newer is best. Anyone know? R.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Which one is the best Selmer alto sax?

Id have to say the best horn isnt even a Selmer. For that price, try and get a vintage Martin, King, Conn, or Buescher. You'll be amazed with them

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't buy a Selmer. The older SBA's and Mk VI's were good horns but they're too expensive. They're not worth it in my opinion. If you want a new alto, I'd look at the Yamaha YAS62M. It's a great buy. Personally though I would look for an old Conn, Martin, King or Buescher like Definition suggested.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

I'll second a vote on a old conn. like I keep saying, I'll put my 10M up against any Selmer out there.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

Have you tried a Julious Kielwerth Horn yet? SX models are Great. How much is 1000 lbs. in U.S. cash. I dont know the exchange, sorry.

Reply To Post

2. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

The "Best" Alto I ever had the chance to play was a 1935 Selmer Balanced Action (I think, maybe a SBA) gold plated with the engraving of the campground at the lake. Emilio let me borrow it for a recording session a few years back, the intonation and timbre were absolutely amazing. He later lent me a different, but similar horn. The characteristics were totally different and didn't match the previous tracks. I returned to get the other. The second best was a silversonic I played about a year ago.

Reply To Post