Saxophone Forum

by paratrooper021
(1 post)
19 years ago

Just starting

I'm a high school bass clarinetist, and I've taken the challenge of learning the bari sax for my school's musical in only a week. I'm doing fine as I have experience with both the embouchre and fingering (I play recorder as well), but I'm having problems getting the notes below E to respond. I've heard it's often a beginner's problem, but I only have a few days! Any help on getting these notes out would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jazz Man
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Just starting

this is just my advice but you could try using a low strangth reed also keep your air strem strong and constant

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

Ultimately it is a beginners problem and if you somehow don't manage to get those notes down, play the upper octave

Reply To Post

2. by GzsKerqt
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

Try loosening ur lower lipping. Don't press ur lips so hard for lower notes.

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

19 years ago

i dont think u can rush that sort of thing. i also play bass clarinet and bari. i suggest just upping the octave for now. then you can learn to drop that stuff, its nor easy, but learning bari in a week shouldnt be

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

barisaxguy, This is not an uncommon situation, but with the right solution to problem, it can be done easily

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

your right, it can be done, however, if your coming into production week, the odds are your gonna be strapped for time. and on top of that, your in high school which means your loaded with other sutff to do, so you may want to kind of take the easy way out

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM