Saxophone Forum

by ctrane
(1 post)
19 years ago

multiphonics

I was reading that Thelonious Monk taught Coltrane how to play 2 or 3 notes on the saxaphone at once. How is this possible?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RollieRodz
    (3 posts)

14 years ago

Re: multiphonics

There is a book on Jazzbooks.com on multiphonics. I just ordered it today. I've see the book before, it give you different fingering to use and it also give you a dirty and a clean version of each note. Its really cool

Reply To Post AIM

2. by lemonhead
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

Yah, I've been reading a book on Coltrane and from what I can figure you just combine fingerings.

Reply To Post

1. by ramong
      (1 post)

16 years ago

Dear saxfans, I`m looking for Tables with multiphonics for alto sax. I`m a chilean composer living in Cologne, Germany and I need this informations for my last piece. Please let me hear if you can help me, thanks a lot best regards Ram?n G www.gorigoitia.info

Reply To Post

1. by kyrill
        (1 post)

15 years ago

Dear friend, I got some of them from a sax-player. If you send an e-amil to [email protected], I will send you my symbols as graphics, as well as a piece where I used them. greetings Georg

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Dude! This thread is from 05! Wake up! ...........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

but the most current post was from 2008

Reply To Post

3. by LC
          (25 posts)

14 years ago

Dude! Multiphonics are cool! I'm not sure about saxophone, but check out Robert Dick on flute!

Reply To Post

2. by bigtaveras
        (3 posts)

14 years ago

its very easy to do. all you need to know how to do is overtones. multiphonics happen when you try to do overtones and noth tones pop out. while doing overtones, you are trying to lip up and play octaves without using the octave key. for example. firstl play a low C. then lip up on octave and play a c in the staff witout using the octave key. after that try and play a G above the staff using the same fingering as a low C. sometimes while you are trying to hit a low C, you think you skweak. you arent really sweaking. you are just playing overtones. so start to practice on overtones and you will see how the multiphonics happe. it generally isnt such a good thing that multiphonics are happening while you are trying to practice overtones. when multiphonics happen, its usually because you are doing something wrong but it sounds cool because you play 2 different notes at the same time

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

It's easy. There are certain fingerings which allow multiple harmonic levels in the overtone series to sound strongly. Try 1x3|1xx But it also sounds like crap. Stop trying to do it.

Reply To Post

3. by martysax
      (148 posts)

19 years ago

Monk was once watching Trane play a note and said: "What would happen if you lift this finger while playing that note?" My son used to say similar things to me when he'd watch me practice. Sometimes it takes someone from the outside to show us what we all take for granted.

Reply To Post

1. by mojocoggo
        (97 posts)

19 years ago

Another way that works for me is to play a lower note, and adjust your embouchure like you are trying to play the note an octave higher, without using the octave key.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Those are overtones. In the harmonic series, as you go higher the notes become more consonate. Doing what you say you are doing is merely playing overtones. Multiphonics are like a growl. They're much easier played on a brass instrument. The idea is to hum as you play. Your hum should be a a certain interval that you want above the note being played.

Reply To Post

1. by mojocoggo
            (97 posts)

19 years ago

oooooh. I see what you're saying. So, to get multiphonics, are you supposed to actually hum the note, or is it possible to have both notes playing at once?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by phathorn
            (165 posts)

19 years ago

no, multiphonics are not the same as growling or humming. to oversimplify, they are the result of two overtones competing for space. Brecker uses these quite a bit and most alto players have probably tried at some point to reproduce the multiphonic that Sanborn often produces on his altissimo "a"

Reply To Post

3. by divesta
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

Multiphonics are really splitting the air in your saxophone. The result is several different notes speaking often there is a low and several different higher notes. I got to see Tommy Smith, if you don't know him you should check him out. I know he has a website but I don't know the address off the top of my head. But anyway, I got a chance to see him live and one thing he did, besides playing amazing all night long, was playing a line with multiphonics, it was really cool. If you are really into multiphonics give this a try. . . play a low C with out your F key Low B with out your E key This have a similar collection of notes a halfstep apart. Also try, Low Bb with out your C key Low B with the C key down, but Eb key open There is a pattern to the multiphonics where there is a distance between the number of keys you have down and where you have a open or vented key. Good luck, it is an intersting thing and drives most other people nuts. If you play any classical saxophone there are several pieces that include multiphonics and give fingerings for them. . . . any way, I hope this helps with your question. Keep practicing and listening

Reply To Post

4. by mojocoggo
            (97 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks divesta! I was able to get it on the first try!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM