Saxophone Forum

by claudio
(1 post)
19 years ago

Start playing soprano!

Hi! I am a professional italian jazz double bass player, but i have to stop playing bass because of health problems. So I must change instrument. I'd like to start playing Soprano sax. It is possible to start from the soprano? Or i have to study first the tenor? What do you think about it? Thanks! Claudio Ottaviano

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bmcguire
    (45 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Start playing soprano!

You wouldn't want to start on the soprano, it won't give you the fundamentals for a good sound.

Reply To Post

2. by GzsKerqt
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

since u used to be a bass player, u shld try tenor first

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

since u used to be a bass player, u shld try tenor first What the hell are you basing that advise on? What difference would it make? Bass and sax are too completely different instruments! YES, you can start out playing soprano, though soprano is not as easy to play as tenor or alto. It requires a lot more embouchre control. Actually, if you were to start out with soprano, you would have no trouble picking up alto, tenor, or even clarinet. It'll be a challange though, but with your musical knowledge, it's probably nothing you can't handle. My advice is to rent a good soprano, don't buy one of the junkers on ebay because it won't play right and it will make your learning experience that much harder and more frustrating. Try it for a few months, and see how you like it. If you like it, buy it. If not, try something else. Good Luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!