Saxophone Forum

by Skylark
(27 posts)
19 years ago

i want to upgrade

hi, i have been playing alto since sixth grade 5 years ago, and have been playing a armstrong that we got for 400 bucks when i started.i play in our symphonic and jazz and marchingband at our high school, last year at our state jazz festivel i saw lots of saxaphones that were awsome , then this year came around and we again wne tot eh festivel and saw people selling new selmers a yanis and cannonballs. the cannonballs caught my eye ucss they looked cool. the salesmen asked me if i wanted to trie some out, so i did... i played the yani and the selmers and then the buetiful cannonball. and it flored me it looked good and it played the best for me, light keys good sound i loved it. now what im asking is going from a armstorng to a cannonball black lackered silver keyed bigbell globel a good enough step up to put me into college band and jazz band or should i go to somthing els?? and the price they gave me was 1700 anbd 20% of that to about 1400 or so. and he selmers were 3000 and i likes the canno better? so could someone answer my questions. sorry i wrote so much but i excited about getting a new one and my parents think i just want the cannon cuss it looks cool. some someone help me.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_MarkVI
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: i want to upgrade

First off im gonna strangle you. You spelt saxophone as saxaphone!! J/k i wont kill u but u better watch it. I would not reccomened a cannonball for a few purposes. Repairs after the years will stack up and a mark VI would blow it away

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

i'll pass on to you the advice i've been given... i've been warned of "selmer snobs", and i've been told that some colleges are particular of your horn. my director is a selmer snob and if he doesn't like you or your horn, you can pretty much assume you aren't going to do well.. you may want to consider sticking with the more common saxophone brands (yamaha, selmer, yanigasawa, or keilwerth), and try out tons of saxes before you make your desicion. who knows? maybe you'll find one you like even better than the cannonball.

Reply To Post

1. by Skylark
        (27 posts)

19 years ago

i went to the store today, i played every alot they had. 3 yanis 4 selmers 3 yamahs aone awas a cutom z and i played all threee of the cannonballs, the yanis were good but for the price was no worth it, the selmers were ok m the cannonball i played blew me away, i liked the mellow yet bright tone it had, and thought it sounded just like the selmer Mark VI i played, at a fraction of the cost. so i got the cannonball bigbell globel black nickel with gold plated keyes. i love it .now i want to get a better mouth peice any suggestions. o and the cannon came with 2 necks 1 for moddy music and 1 for jazz.

Reply To Post

1. by simonknight
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

In a few years time you'll realize why the yanis, selmers and yamahas cost more. The cannonball is a cheaper horn because the construction is inferior - every penny they put into flashy finishes, engraving and the extra neck takes away from the underlying quality of the materials and construction - it's basic economics. Some of these types of horns play well when new, but they won't be around to be classics.

Reply To Post

2. by Skylark
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

well its good now when the time comes {in a few tears} maybe when i get into the middle of college ill get another one but for now this el do. now any suggestions on mouthpeaices, people saw meyeres are good for not too mutch

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

19 years ago

dont be decieved by the cannonballs looks or playing. my friend has had one for about a year now and took really good care of it, and it is leaking at starting to fall apart. the yanis are really nice and worth the price. i also like the selmer super action and the mark vi and vii. personally i HATE yamahas but a lot of people really like them, so give em a wack. if any yamaha its the z custom

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I ultimately have to say that you should buy what you like best, but I was trying sopranos and i tried cannonballs, HATED THEM! To me it sounded like crap. And there are intermediate yamahas(new) for 1400 and to me they far exceeded the cannonball

Reply To Post