Saxophone Forum

by invocansax
(27 posts)
19 years ago

RIP CHINESE HORN!

Hi guys, has been awhile since i posted anything here. Recently i bought my second yamaha yts-61 tenor sax (im just a big fan of this horn!) , so my arsenal right now is 2 yts -61s, a bundy alto and .....a schill tenor (ill get to that later). i just want to share this horns an older model from the first 61 i have, the lacquers gone giving that yellowish tinge, and i all i can say is ...it blows man! easy bolwing from top to bell b-flat! Actuall y wnet out and bought an skb case for it...got to protect my babies! any fans of the 61 out there, please let me know. anyway, ill admit i have a chinese made tenor, which i used as a backup horn...and ill admit i tried to justify the reasons why i bought the horn...come to think of it for 2oo dollars, i should have just bought a decent case for my alto...sure the horn looked good. but heres what happened lately, playing it one day, a key fell off, yup, it just fell off ... so i had it soldered...a few days later, it was soo hard to get the low notes out...so i had some bent rods. i had a tech take a look at it...and he couldnt hammer it back, why? because the materials for these saxes are not brass or silver nickel which they use for student models! it was pewter! for you beginners, pewter is what table utensils are made off. if he broke it, he couldnt solder it! so he couldnt put a warranty on it! So for you guys who are thinking of getting the following brands...DONT! these horns do not hold up! the intonations suspect...im not being some ass, dissing cheap brands because there are good ones, but chinese made horns do not hold up. Dont wait to experience something like this before you wise up and get a reputable brand, do it now, be responsible with your purchases...so you may ask, what happened to the schill...with a little soldering and little wiring, ive got myself a nice lamp for the den......

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mrd
    (137 posts)

19 years ago

YTS 61

I have been told that this model was the best made by Yamaha, and one opinion (Ponzol) is that this is the closest you are going to get to a Mark VI. He says he likes it far better than his 875 Custom. He loves them. I have not tried it, but am now looking for one. So, it sounds like you agree. Any more info on this would be appreciated.. And, tell me, Should I get a 61???

Reply To Post

1. by invocansax
      (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: YTS 61

yeah, i wud definitely get it. I prefer it than the 62. Though i have not tried the z series yet. with it being the next best thing to a mk6, i wouldnt know, i guess that would be relative, to whoevers using the horn. just bear in mind, yamahas are considerably "brighter" in tone compared to other horns. But if your looking for suberb intonation and ergonomics, yamaha is for you. Im not really a fan of selmers anyway so i wouldnt really compare. conn and king is what does it for me when it comes to vintage horns. play the horn bro before you buy it, you have to get a horn that "speaks" to you.

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

YTS 61/Selmer

I decided not to buy the Yamaha. It turns out I decided to buy an SBA80 II that was offered me. So I will give you my opinion when it arrives.

Reply To Post

1. by invocansax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: YTS 61/Selmer

googd for you bro, either which way, enjoy your horn!

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

I alwayse thought you could solder pewter... guess I never worked with it so I don't know. if anything else use electronic solder, that should do a decent job. from what i understand pewter is really soft, and dosn't work harden like silver, copper, gold, (and brass is just hard.) so it would be a really poor choice to use as rods or posts or anything that would require it to hold a form... unless (of course) it was beat into that form and work hardned, but soldering it would anneal the metal and make it soft again. in short pewter=good silverwear, bowls, cheap stuff=bad sax's

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

speaking of metals that really move around... I would love to see someone make rods/maybe pads out of alumnum (sp?) then idoize it to some nifty colors! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM