Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz Songs

Hey guys, I'm in a HS Jazz Band and I play sax. We are having a concert in a few days. I just wanted to run through our song lineup to see what any of you thought about them if you've heard or played them. We are playing these songs: - Pacific Coast Highway by Toshio Mashima - Begin the Beguine by Cole Porter - Fever by John Davenport and Eddie Cooley - Sing Sang Sung by Gordon Goodwin - All the Way by James Van Heusen - Emanon by Dizzy Gillespie - Rain Delay by Dean Sorenson - Birdland by Josef Zawinul Anybody recognize, like, dislike, or played any of these? If so, let me know what you think.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz Songs

Pacific Coast Highway and Birdland are both pretty neat tunes that have a lot of energy. Begin the Beguine is a nice little soprano feature, and Sing Sang Sung is another song that features the soprano. Sing Sang Sung is just a plain awesome song. Fever is a vocal solo that adds contrast. All the Way is my least favorite (probably because trombones get to shine trhough on melody) but is still a good song. I really like Emanon; I have a fairly long alto solo on it that sounds good. Rain Delay is okay, too; it has a tenor solo. P.S. - I play alto sax on all of these songs except Sing Sang Sung and Begin the Begin the Beguine. On Sing Sang Sung I play soprano, and on Begin the Beguine I play tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by Kitch22
      (98 posts)

19 years ago

. . . . . .

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

ive played song 1 and song 4 - end sing sang sung is good gordon goodwin writes good charts we also play jazz police... thats our current signiture closing song and hunting wabbits and count bubba

Reply To Post