Saxophone Forum

by rockhard
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Plate or Laquer? Difference?

This may be a stupid question, as I'm not entirely sure of understanding even the physical difference, possibly because of linguistic difficulties (I'm Norwegian)... What's the difference between plated and laquered saxes? An old saxophone with new plate - is that comparable to a relaquered sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Plate or Laquer? Difference?

The base material for most saxophones is brass. Sometimes a layer of lacquer is sprayed onto the surface to protect the polished brass finish or even add color to it like paint. Sometimes silver or gold is plated to the brass to give it a different appearance. Relacquered would mean the old lacquer was stripped off (or wore off) and the horn was polished then new lacquer applied. similarly, the silver/gold plating can be removed or replaced with new plating to give it a new finish.

Reply To Post

1. by rockhard
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up, it was, as I could imagine, a matter of the material applied to the brass and the way it was done. That being said, Is it unwise to buy a vintage sax, with a new plating? Will it "corrupt" the original sound?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard mixed opinons about re-lacquering a horn (or plating) there is one camp that is dead agenst it. They say the buffing does something to the sound and crap. then there is another camp that says it dosn't do a damn stinkin thing to the sound. I'm with the latter. My old conn 10M was re-lacquered and it didn't do anything to the sound. However, it did make it look "less old" and the polishing did mess with the engravings. Personally I wouldn't do it to my horns, and I belive that if it's old it should look old... I mean look at my alto... studentweb.uwstout.edu/evansa/horn.bmp and it's over 60 years old! It would be a shame to refinish that! (and I should get my ass kicked if I did)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Relacquering or replating a highly collectable horn can reduce it's monetary value in some circumstances, but I'm with him that the effect on the sound is not going to be noticeable to the listener unless a very high amount of material is removed through buffing. The greater concern is the structural durability of the horn once the metal has been buffed. Generally, a quality buffing and relacquering does not affect the engravings too much if at all. I think it is better to leave the damage as-is in some cases - rather than trying to make an old horn look new. If the horn looks too nice, people might not believe that you actually know how to play it!

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Along the lines of plating....I've heard that a silver PLATED horn can be harder to tune? Or sumtin like that? And I also assume that the lacquer has no effect on sound quality, right? It's just a color...right? Just checking! Thanks!

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Silver plated - harder to tune? Sounds like something an idiot salesman would say at a music store to steer a customer away from something they didn't carry. A heavy heavy lacquer job (particularly those that are solid colors like La Sax or Selmer white, for example, that require many layers) can dampen the sound - warming the tone by supressing the natural emission of higher harmonics through the brass. Acoustically, higher frequencies don't travel through/around materials as efficiently as lower frequencies. That's why you hear your idiot neighbor's car stereo from two blocks away but it's all bass - no treble, so to speak. I don't think a normal lacquer job is thick enough to make a big difference - there's just not enough surface area on the smaller horns for harmonic suppression to play into the overall tone very much. I've delacquered horns before and they played awesome when I was done working on them - but that was more on account of all the other things I did to improve the way the horn played. Don't be afraid of how the finish of the horn will affect it's sound - just stay away from any blue or white or red saxophones as I think it's a gimmick.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_braswell
        (22 posts)

19 years ago

I think you would want to carefully play test a vintage sax that is replated. Check to see if there is a return policy. I only say this because while a replate shouldn't change the sound of the horn if done right, it may have been poorly or incorrectly done.

Reply To Post