Saxophone Forum

by j_gally
(19 posts)
19 years ago

Jupiter 767, Keilwerth ST90

I know they are both Taiwanese horns, but I found both brand new for within my price range. I just a reasonably nice horn that will last me through junior high. I know I posted about the Bundy earlier, but that just soared out of my price range. Out of these two, which would you recommend? I am rather partial to Keilwerth's though I know its a Jupiter/Keilwerth.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Kimo
    (29 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jupiter 767, Keilwerth ST90

I was leaning towards the Keilworth, then tried the LA Sax 850 series,(no color), it plays great at around $1300 from Music 123. Kimo

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

i'd recommend the keilwerth over both the jupiter and the LA sax....keilwerths are great horns with an awesome tone.. just make sure you have a return policy and you play all the horns you can before buying one

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Keilwerth ST90 and Jupiter 767 are basically the same horn. Jupiter makes the ST (student) model Keilwerth saxophones. They do play very well for student horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by aravaioli
      (24 posts)

19 years ago

As stated by others, the ST-90 has nothing to do with Keilwerth, it is basically the 787GL rebranded. So between the two just buy the one which costs less. All being equal I would take the ST-90, Keilwerth has a better name and that counts once you decide to resell it. If you get the Jupiter, just make sure you don't get the 585GL which costs less and sounds much worse (I tried both). The 585GL is made in mainland China: not everything that comes from there is junk, however Taiwanese saxophones are presently quite better built.

Reply To Post

3. by saxtrev
      (1 post)

19 years ago

As a teacher I see loads of "student" model horns and I have to say I like the ST90! It has a great tone, intonation is decent and the name is a good thing to have when reselling! (I think that it plays better than selmer usa students)!

Reply To Post

4. by Kimo
      (29 posts)

19 years ago

Go to Kesslermusic.com. A great Co. to do business with. Satisfaction policy. He has a Kessler Custon ProTenor for $895 with an Ottol ink setup. Give him a look.

Reply To Post