Saxophone Forum

by audie
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Vintage Sax

I have in my possession a saxophone that was given to me, I don't know much about them and was wondering if anyone could help me identify it please. On the back of the sax it says 'Lewin, true perfection, low pitch then a serial number 181996, made in the USA'. On the front of the bell it says 'Lewin Brothers, 17 Moor Street, London, England'. Just wondering how old it is hope someone out there can help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage Sax

I think Lewin Brothers saxophones were made by Buescher. My guess is that it is a Buescher True Tone stencil manufactured around 1925. go to www.saxpics.com and look at the Buescher true tone horns and I bet yours is identical. You can email me some pictures and i'll be happy to take a look. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Candyboy
      (77 posts)

19 years ago

Ok here is a weird one. I just bought a Keilwerth copy that says made in Holland on the back. The horn looks exaclty like a tone king royal, with rolled tone holes. it says Concord on the front. Does anyone have any information on dutch made saxes?
      Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well as you probably know, Keilwerth is made in Germany. I have only seen one Dutch made saxophone. It was a tenor, and I cannot recall the name on the bell, but it was also very similar to a Keilwerth ""The New King" It played very well and looked to be every bit as good as the Keilwerth.

Reply To Post Yahoo!