Saxophone Forum

by doubled
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Keilwerth New King

I've been eyeing a Tenor sax on Ebay called The New King. I don't know too much about older saxes and was wondering if anyone knew much about this particular model. One distinction was that it had a plasitic keyguard. Are these horns well known?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rsclosson
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Keilwerth New King

I have a New King stencil tenor and LOVE it. The New King was Keilwerths flagship line before they came out with the H. Couf. Sarge at World Wide Sax is a big fan. I got mine and had it re=-padded and properly set up and it plays great!

Reply To Post

1. by doubled
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks rsclosson! I guess my next question is up to how much should I pay for it? It seems to be in pretty good shape.

Reply To Post

1. by rsclosson
        (9 posts)

19 years ago

While I am not sure about making a recommendation on plrice, I will tell you that Sarge has 2 New King tenors on his site. The silver plated one is $1999.00 and the Lacquer one (with the plastic guard replaced by an aftermarket metal one) is $1349. I payed about 900 for mine but it is a stencil, though European stencils are as good as the originals, unlike most American stencils. Mine also has the metal guard instead of plastic. Once I had miine re-done, it blew me away. I played it side by side with a Mark VII and there was, IMHO, no contest. The Selmer was too polite and refined compared to the boisterous Keilwerth. I can go from a whisper to a scream with little effort. I use it when I want a big sound bigger than a Selmer. ( I have an Omega that is also excellent and a more refined tone than the Keilwerth) I am sure I will get some opposing opinions on the Selmer comparison, but I was just giving my opinion.

Reply To Post