Saxophone Forum

by jen
(1 post)
19 years ago

Beginner needs recommendation

Hi, I'm just starting out and would like to purchase a beginner alto sax. I only have $300-$400 to spend. The only ones I can seem to find in this range are: Barrington 301, Kohlert 450, and BandNow. Any suggestions on what to start with or any other brands that would be a good starter? Your recommendations are appreciated. Jennifer

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by hawkman112757
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Beginner needs recommendation

i bought a stueben sax off ebay for around 375 total, have had it checked after two years of lessons. the horn was worked hard those years also.. the tech said every thing was right on, only minimal ajustment on the octave key,, naturally its not the high resale value of the betterhorns but i bought it to play not to resale! i think there like cars , even good ones can be lemons, but make sure to get a decent time warrenty to have time to check it out! hawkman112757

Reply To Post

2. by j_gally
    (19 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, I'm a beginner sax player also with only a range of 300-400 to spend. I've asked around a lot here, and it seems what most of them recommend is not to buy the brand-new shiny horns for around 200-300 dollars. Look on e-bay, or at your local music store. You can usually find a nice brand horn for around that price range if you really scavenge, some nice beginner horns are Selmer Bundy's and Yamaha YAS-23's, I think. Maybe a more experienced sax player could give you more answers but this is what I've heard for advice.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

A Bundy, Bundy II or Yamaha YAS-23 in good repair will outplay and outlast the shiny new eBay cheapies - and you can get most if not all of your money back by selling it if you give it up. There's no resale value on the eBay shiny new junk horns. I can help set you up with a solid beginner's horn if you are interested. Shoot me an email if you'd like.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with saxmaniac- those horns are excellent choices for beginners. Maybe consider a King Cleveland. An important factor is to get a horn in good repair- it will save you all kinds of trouble actually learning the instrument, and you'll save having to pay a tech to make it play right. Also, don't be too taken with shiny and new. My newest horn is early 1950s and my oldest is 1912 (played professionally). Find a sax teacher or someone knowledgeable to check your choice of a new horn out to make sure it's a good one- like buying a used car. Hope to have been of help. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Saxmaniac. The Bundy II is a very good horn if you can find it in good condition. I am playing one now while my school horn is in the shop, and it plays very well considering its age and the amount of wear it has. However, if you find a good used YAS23, that would be a good idea too. I play one of those at school regularly, and it has really good intonation, ergonomics are great, and the tone isn't bad with a regular setup. If you put a higher end mouthpiece on that thing, it could really have some power. A Bundy II or YAS23 used will be much better than buying those new horns.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I agree also. Shop around for a nice used horn in good condition; either a Yamaha YAS23 pr Bundy II, or an older Conn 14M or Buescher 400, King 613 or Cleveland. Of those that you mentioned, The Kohlert is probably the best of the 3, but neither of them are very good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by RonyG
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Just to let you know that I bought a used Bundy from Sax_Maniac and he has been one of the nicest most helpful people I have ever met online. The horn I bought was at a very fair price, had new pads installed and came with a nice case. (and other stuff he picked up for me) If he has a sax available, you won't be disappointed with your purchase from him. I almost bought one of those eBay "specials" for $300.00 and am glad I found this site and took the time to read the posts of those who warned against such a purchase. The Bundy I bought from Sax-Maniac was built in the mid 70's and although it in not the shinest horn, although it is in very good condition is a great beginner horn. As I said earlier, buy a sax from sax-maniac, he is a great person to work with and he will answer many beginner questions.

Reply To Post

2. by Jellybean666
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

I'm a beginner too, i started in december. I got an Earlham mark 2 professional series, im not having lessons, teaching myself, but i got the recomendation from my friend who's been playing for about 3 years now, and its a really good sax. I got mine online for £350, which seems to be in your price range. Look around for the best deal, but you're better off with either an Earlham or a Yamaha, they'll both last you until at least grade 5, and i found the Earlham good for a beginner. Good luck and enjoy playing

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Jennifer, look for a Conn 14M or 20M used. You can often find them in pretty good shape for not a lot of money. They're great starter horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!