Saxophone Forum

by yas62girl
(1 post)
21 years ago

THE BEST SAXOPHONE

Justify why you think your saxophone is the best in its range. Choose wisley.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Redsax
    (27 posts)

20 years ago

Re: THE BEST SAXOPHONE

I have a Martin Handcraft Imperial Low-Pitch Tenor...it is 70 years old...it has lightning quick action, plays as smooth as butter and is as tone rich as my mom's peanut butter fudge....how's that?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by AGIII
    (5 posts)

21 years ago

My series III is the best in all ranges because of it's unmatched versatility, I play darker than anyone that I know of when I am playing classical music, and as bright as I want and still have warmth at the same time. The keyboard surpasses even BMW comfort, the layout is absolutely flawless, the ergonomics are also perfect. When others play my sax with sifferant hands, they say the same thing, Selmer has found a way to make their horns ambidextorous. (SP?) it has the best tuning that I know of, even the goodson unison. (It may be me, when I tried the III for the first time at the shop, it was perfect, don't think it could be me, but maybe I have a very good ear.) There isnt a single note on the entire sax in which I would change the timbre, not even the C#! Whenever I play that middle C#, normal fingering, it never has that sound that lacks partials, it is always warm and full. Whenever I tune on C# (The vent makes it perfect.) most people at first think it is the C, but very sharp untill they looka the tuning wheel, and it isn't moving, once it took me 5 minutes to convince my instructor that there wasn't anything wrong with the tuner. All of the low notes are nice and fat, and projecting. The high notes are all warm and cutting and projecting. The mid range is warm and centered. I can hit the craziest altissimo notes, yesterday I was having a high note with a tenor player friend of mine. I hit a single G (I always do to get my legere warmed up.) and he hits a D on his sax, then I hit a double G, and he hits about a double E or F, then I hit a triple G, he bites his reed, and I intended to play a triple G again to aknowledge that he had won, but my finger slipped of the key, and I got a quadruple G!!! And whats even better is that, it still sounded like a sax, it still had warmth, it still sounded musical. Its action is the fastest i know of, soem may say it is stiff, but they just have weak fingers, the stiffer the spring, the quicker the key comes up, the quicker you are ready for the next note, you dont have to make a big deal about making your notes cleaner than the alter at church. i think that is it, if i think of something else, ill post it.

Reply To Post

1. by weinscott
      (11 posts)

21 years ago

This thread is not specific to jazz. I will look into moving it for you, but will end it for now. Feel free to re-post in the equiptment section.
      The journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step

Reply To Post

2. by JZ
      (83 posts)

20 years ago

Curious. Selmer states there is Model 62 and 62H. With such terrific altissimo, do have this 62H sax? Do know what that is? Just marketing angle? I have no idea. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

from what I am told, the harmonic mech helps, but doesnt work too fantastic.

Reply To Post

3. by kcutri
      (1 post)

21 years ago

Selmer Super Balanced Action - Alto, Tenor, and Soprano. I sold off my Mark VI collection for these babies. Wonderful rich sound, great setup, and the left pinky cluster is ergonomically correct on SBA's. -Keith

Reply To Post

1. by mom
        (2 posts)

20 years ago

Do you happen to know where a person can find a Selmer Mark VI Alto Saxophone these days?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

Mark six horns are not difficult to find, they just demand a very high price due to popularity. Look at the vintage tab at the top of this site. I've also seen a number of alto VI's at www.usahorn.com and www.tenormadness.com

Reply To Post

1. by mom
            (2 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you for the reply. My daughter is in High school but is currently playing on a Yamaha yas-21. She loves to play and is dedicated

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
          (98 posts)

20 years ago

Yamaha Custom Zs are top-notch professional horns, and they beat out most Mark VIs!! With right setup, the Custom Zs just cannot be beaten. Period.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

Actually, I would say the 82z CAN be beaten. Definetly by a lot of MkVI's, and also by the Custom counterpart, the 875EX, which is much more versatile. The 82z seems to me to be to focused to jazz, the 875 can do it all.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
              (248 posts)

20 years ago

CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT:the mkVI isn't that great. Sure it,s good, but both the balance and 10M(naked lady model) beat it, even the best VIs can be outdone by a 10M. I love my tenor(ani), and think it's the best new horn on the market, but make no claims about it being the best out there. I also love my alto(sarah) especialy with my new meyer 5. don't get the "g". i tried it. the "g" stands for "sucks" i like the 875, but prefer the 82. i like jazz horns though. for some reason, i think a lot of jazz horns have better classical tone then some legit horns. and a lot of legit mouthpeices seem worthless. has anyone tried a reasou? yuck! so anyway, unless you're chris potter, don't say yours is the best. he could come in here and show y'all up. (so could a lot of people, but i like old conns^_^)

Reply To Post

1. by saabtech
                (20 posts)

20 years ago

just spent three weeks playing the new yamaha and selmer horns... picked up the ref 54 today. this horn just has a better core sound to it. yamaha had a tinny sound still to me. ref also has better pitch, according to the tuner. spike, dont like the rouseau mouthpiece? which one? i'm thinking of getting the jazz and classical, and new classic...

Reply To Post

2. by saxophoneplayingistight
                (13 posts)

20 years ago

I just bought my Yamaha custom black tenor and its sweet. It definetly beat out any other sax i played. It sounds really great in the lower register and i can play effortlesly all the way up to altissim a. With my otto link NY 6* and superial 3.5 reeds you just cant lose. I would highly recommend it.

Reply To Post AIM