Saxophone Forum

by rognvaldr
(1 post)
19 years ago

Legit and Jazz Horns

I am a senior in highschool looking to go into music education, I've been accepted to school already but my Bundy 2 Just isnt going to cut it at the college level. I love playing jazz however for concert band I also need a horn for classical(legit). I am looking for a horn that would be good for both however I have limited cash to spend, I have about 1,200 to spend (possibly slightly more, but not a lot) What do you think I should look for?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Legit and Jazz Horns

You should look at a used Yanagisawa 800, 880, 900 series (Any) or Yamaha 62II.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

i find my yani 901 to be a very versatile horn. not the best horn out there at all. but it does the trick. doesnt suck. doesnt make you go "holy shizz!!" but its a solid horn and i can see it serving me well thru next year in highschool and all of college..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by sax_braswell
    (22 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with the others, a used Yanagisawa is your best bet!

Reply To Post

1. by bmcguire
      (45 posts)

19 years ago

With 1200 to spend you are slightly limited. I would probably say the YAS-62II is your best choice. But if you can get to the 1500 range, you can most likely find a used Super Action Selmer or other tru pro instrument. The Yamaha is really nice and a great value!

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

the yamaha 62 IS a true pro horn...it was their top end horn for many many years

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

And a damned good pro horn at that. It just lacks compared to my Super 20 though... Its great it just doesnt have "It"

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM