Saxophone Forum

by BariSaxplyr
(35 posts)
19 years ago

Yamaha saxophones?

I play baritone sax. I am going to buy a new Low A horn, and have heard great things about the yamaha overall. Does anyone own one? I've tried them before. How relaible are yamahas on the whole? Ive heard they are in tune and easy to play, but do they sound good? Also, does anyone know about any new baritones coming out from them? I gave up waiting and thinking about the selmer series III, but was wondering about any kind of 875 or Z series baritone. Anyone know?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha saxophones?

I've never tried a baritone, but I have played a few tenors including the Z Series and the 62, and they are fantastic horns, and very reasonably priced. I would definately recommend them. They seem very highly rated by every tech I've talked to also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

You can't go wrong with a Yamaha or Yanagisawa bari. To save a few bucks and still have a professional quality bari, look into a used Yani or Yani stencil bari (older Vito). The Selmers are probably decent, but Selmer Paris has lost it's lustre with me over the past two years - just not worth the asking price as far as I'm concerned. And I don't know that Selmer is making a Series III bari yet, though they certainly make a Series II. You have to play it to know for sure what works for you. Hopefully, you will get the chance to try some out before deciding.

Reply To Post

3. by Jellybean666
    (31 posts)

19 years ago

Im deffinetly no expert on sax makes, but i know that yamaha is one of the top ones, ive got a yamaha flute, it has amazing quality sound and is extremely reliable, had it 2 years and it doesnt look like it'll need a service for at least another 2 {Although it probably will!}. So yea, yamaha is a good make to get, in any instrument, except pianos, im not a fan of their pianos... i dont know why....

Reply To Post

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

There are probably very few musicians you will ever meet that don't like Yamahas. I love Yamaha, cause I got a soprano sax and it is BEEEEAUUTIFUL sounding

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

How could you not like Yamaha pianos? I've played a couople spinnets that didn't impress me too much; spinnets never really do it for me, but if I was to buy a new grand or baby grand, it would most definately be a Yamaha! Perhaps you played one that wasn't up to par. Yamaha makes parts for Story and Clark and Steinway also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

This is a sax website, but I'll throw in my opinion that Yamaha pianos (the affordable ones) have keywork that feels like a weighted action keyboard more than a traditional piano. Further, the low end tends to be tinny on account of their process for mass producing the harps. In Yamaha tradition, they produce a high quality product with a general lack of character. If only different piano benches provided opportunities to shape the tone... Petrof did it for me.

Reply To Post

1. by BariSaxplyr
          (35 posts)

19 years ago

I don't think i've ever played a nice "lower end" piano. But I kinda know what your saying about new yamaha pianos... but the same could be said about new steinwayy compares to old ones. I've played old yamaha pianos with ivory keys and they were absolutley outstanding. In another comment... to what was said about no one not liking yamaha saxophones... I've actually heard nothing GOOD or BAD from professional players about Yamaha saxophones. Just, i've never talked to anyone who played bari sax.

Reply To Post

2. by mojocoggo
          (97 posts)

19 years ago

Hello, I have played bari sax for quite a bit. I got a chance to play on my friends Yamaha YBS-50something bari. I don't know what it was with that horn but I barely even had to blow at all and the noes rang out nicely. I am not an expert on juding tone quality, but the sax was VERY easy to play, I mean, you could just look at it and it would play something :-P

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM