Saxophone Forum

by windiamond
(5 posts)
19 years ago

WELTKLANG ALTO,PRO OR NOT?

I HAVE JUST BEEN SCOURING SOMEPAWN SHOPS AND CAME ACROSS A BEAUTIFLY WELTKLANG ALTO SILVER WONDERFUL SCROLL WORK ON THE BELL AND HONESTLY IT LOOKED LIKE GOLD PLATING IN THE BELL.HAS THE ARTICULATED G SHARP KEY ALSO THE LITTLE EXTRA KEY TO FREE UP THE LOW D ON THE BACK OF THE LOWER STACK.....AND LOOKS LIKE MOTHER OF PEARL ON ALL THE SPATULA KEYS........WHAT IM WONDERING IS...WHAT KIND OF QUALITY THIS IS THEY WERE ONLY ASKING 200 CANADIAN DOLLARS FOR IT...NEEDS SOME WORK WHICH I CAN DO NO WORRIES JUST WONDERING WHAT HAVE PEOPLE HEARD THIS ALMOST LOOKS LIKE IT WAS SPECIALLY MADE

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: WELTKLANG ALTO,PRO OR NOT?

Weltklang is not deemed as a pro horn and can be a bit clunky to play thou one of the keilworth brothers was suposed to have worked for them.They were built in the old USSR (may have been a pro horn there).If you want a reliable tank $200 canadian is pretty cheap Dave PS would that little extra key be an aux Eb ?

Reply To Post

1. by mojocoggo
      (97 posts)

19 years ago

LOOKS LIKE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH A BROKEN CAPS LOCK

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

If I came across that horn for $200 CDN, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. In fact, if you opt not to buy it, please shoot me an email so I can contact the store. where in Canada? (I'm around Detroit).

Reply To Post

3. by heinz
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Weltklang Saxes were built in the former east-German Federal Republic (GDR). I would not consider them pro saxes but if you know a good saxtech you can turn a Weltklang into a decent horn. The problem lies within the pads, they were produced from inferior materials using cardboard and cheap plastic. If repadded properly, a Weltklang becomes a reliable intermediate horn. If you can, try a Weltklang Baritone, they are great players with a much more modern design/mechanism than the alto or the tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by rsclosson
      (9 posts)

19 years ago

I had a Weltklang tenor and it was a great Intermediate horn. The forked Eb worked and it had a G# trill key. (That is my guess on the extra key) I used it on gigs for a while till I upgraded and traded up. It was a good horn and I probably should have kept it for the outdoor gigs or as a trunk honr. BTW The Weltklang baris are made by Keilwerth and are quite sought after.

Reply To Post