Saxophone Forum

by pj
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Please help me identify my Conn tenor sax

Hello everyone. Hope someone out there can give me at bit of advice. I have inherited a Conn Tenor Sax and would like to find out more about it. It has serial no M252383 with the letters T and L above and below it. It is finished in silver. There is a patent date of Dec 8 1914 on it and the patent no is 1119954. Please would someone help me to idendify exactly what model the instrument is. I am not looking to sell it but would be interested to know an approximate value for insurance purposes. It seems to be in good condition although a couple of the keys need working on. I don't think it has been played much for decades. Any help appreciated PJ

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by grandcentral
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Please help me identify my Conn tenor sax

i too have an old conn, m252382, the m however is a marking of models produced between like '28 +'33. quite old.i am trying to find out the deal with my horn too. i mean it sounds amazing its just needs a tune -up. does your horn have a criss-cross almost like a diamond plate g#?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The nail file G# , as it's often called, is typical of the New Wonder series II or Chu Berry horns made from 1925-1932. Even some of the early 6M's had this feature. If the saxophone has the B and Bb keys on opposite sides of the bell, then it is a New Wonder Series II. If both keys are on the same side, then it is a 6M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by pj
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, mine has the criss-cross pattern on the G# key. The bell keys are on opposite sides of the bell. Think the horns are both New Wonder Series II models from 1932. Amazing that the serial no on yours shows that mine followed directly on from it.

Reply To Post

2. by kaleid
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

I believe M-prefix SN's were 1969 models. So that would make it a 10M But I'm no expert - hopefully someone else will chime in and either confirm or correct me. -Ken

Reply To Post

1. by pj
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Ken. I'd a feeling it was much older than that - perhaps going back to the early 1930s. I should have said before that I'm english and the instrument was imported into the country by La Fleur who appear to have acted as Conn's agents in the UK.

Reply To Post

1. by kaleid
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

I tried to reference the serial number www.drrick.com/conn.html www.cgconn.com/content/serialno_conn.php www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnSax.html That's where I received my information. Do you have pictures available?

Reply To Post

1. by pj
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

No pictures unfortunately. I see what you're saying about serial nos with an "M" prefix but looking at the instrument and the case and knowing the age of the chap who played it I just feel that it must have been made before 1969. Hopefully someone else can clarify!

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Are the keyguards Wire or Sheetmetal? Is there an engraving of a pentagon with a ladie's face inside it on the bell of the horn? Since you can't provide pictures, go to www.saxpics.com, look under the Conn catagory, and take a look at the Conn New Wonder and 10M horns and see which one looks like your horn. The 10M was in production for many years, and the details changed over it's production history. Get back with us with your results and we will be able to be of more help. To quote Dr. Evil "Need the info, throw me a bone here". :)

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Ken is correct, the prefix M was used in 1969, but M is also the letter code for saxophone, and was included in serial numbers from 1925-1936. The fact that the horn is marked "L" for low pitch, and also has the patent date leads me to believe that this is a much earlier horn. I use Dr. Rick's serial number list www.drrick.com/conn.html and according to his numbers, your sax is a transitional model made in 1932. This would make it CONSIDERABLY more valuable than one made in 1969. What is the finish, and engraving on this tenor? Does it have both bell keys on the same side of the bell or on different sides? If it has the bell keys on different sides, that it would be more like the earlier Chu Berry or New Wonder Series II horns. If it has the bell keys on the same side, then it would be more like the 10M. Some of these horns have very elaborate engravings. Most of them were silver plated. This horn, if it was manufactured in 1932 as suspected would also have rolled tone holes. In good condition, this sax could be worth as much as $3500, depending on the engraving, etc. Ken, Most of the tenor saxophones made in 1969 were 16M's not 10M's and were based on the Conn Pan American horn. The 10M is a professional model; the 16M is a student-intermediate model. Conn did however make a few 10M's until all production was moved to Nogales, AZ by 1970. PJ, if your horn is what I think it is, it's definately not a student-intermediate model, but one of the finest saxophones available at that time! And, btw, I AM a Conn expert! ;)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by kaleid
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

Excellent info! Thanks. I am NOT a Conn expert, but I AM the owner of two vintage Conn Altos. (actually waiting on UPS for the second one as I type.....)

Reply To Post

2. by pj
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks connsaxman_jim, that's really helpful. Confirms what I'd thought myself after a bit of investigation but nice to hear it from an expert! If by the bell keys, you mean the low B and Bb keys then I can tell you that they are on different sides. The horn is finished in silver coloured metal tho' I couldn't say whether or not this is silver plate. Not sure exactly what the engraving is supposed to represent. Haven't been able to find a picture like it on the internet. It's a bit like an elaborate flower/plant - lots of wavy lines. Definitely no sign of a naked lady! The Conn name is engraved on the bell in the middle of the engraving along with the fact that it was made in Elkhart. Engraved below this are the name and address of La Fleur who obviously acted as Conn's agents in the UK. This is a silly question but could someone clarify what the "keyguards" are?? I'm taking it to be examined/valued at a local sax shop in a few days so hopefully they can confirm finally what I've got. Will keep you updated. If it is such a fine old instrument I guess I should think carefully about where to get the work done it. At the moment it's impossible to blow an "A" or a "G" without pressing down the appropriate keys really hard so I think the action and/or the pads need looking at. Don't suppose you know of any vintage sax experts in the north of England! Finishing work for Easter in a few hours so won't be back online for a few days. Thanks again

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
            (575 posts)

19 years ago

PJ, It sounds as though you have most of your inquiries sorted out by now. Just to let you know for future reference, a key guard is the wire or stamped sheet metal "cages" that protect certain keys, such as the bell and bow keys. In the case of your horn, they would be Wire keyguards. By the way, don't accept the evaluation provided by your local sax shop as Gospel. Many modern day music shops and repair techs are woefully ignorant about vintage horns, their proper repair, setup, and worth. Like a Doctor's diagnosis, I would get several opinions and do my research. Best of luck.

Reply To Post