Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
19 years ago

Mark VI Alto Sax High F# Key - SN 227, xxx

Hi, I'm back again after a long break. I have a question regarding a certain Mark VI Alto that my friend has and I was wondering about its value and if I should even bother going after it, let alone spend more than i should on it. Here is some info: -it appears to be in decent shape, it looks like a vintage horn, if you understand what I mean. -It was was a closet instrument for a while, maybe ignored for a bit of time, and her father was a band teacher and that's how she got a hold of it. -I played it on a Selmer C * mouthpiece-excellent sound and action. I loved the warm tone of the horn, better than my YAS-23. -Finally, the SN is 227,xxx which I'm guessing must be an older model. Well if anyone can give me some pointers to this situation and if anyone has an idea of the value of SN 227,xxx Mark VI altos, please respond to this discussion!! : ) Thank you, -Josh

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzfool132
    (144 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mark VI Alto Sax High F# Key - SN 227, xxx

This is a follow up to my previous post: Does anyone know off hand of a site that would help me learn about the serial numbers of Mark VI's. I know of saxpics.com, but if there is another specific site please let me know. Thanks again, -Josh

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, Josh. I have a Mk. VI w/ high F# s.n. 200xxx (had it since new) and the date is 1972, so that puts yours fairly late in the run. Some will say later horns aren't as good, but my experience with mine was all good- a great horn for jazz and legit- sweet tone and action and not fussy at all. Still, I'm selling it because I play almost all tenor and don't need that "much" alto. Value on these is $3500-4000 depending on condition according to my reconnaisance. Some will also say the mk.VI is over-rated, but look at what the top players have used for years. A dynamite horn. (still, for my taste and circumstances, a Conn 6M suits me better- also a dynamite horn) Try Saxgourmet.com for some more info, serial numbers, etc. His valuations are a bit high IMO, but there's lots of good stuff there.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

His evaluations are high because they are based on the horn being perfectly mint with EVERYTHING it would have origionally came with

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sgt17594
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

In my point of view, value of the serial no. after SN2xxxxxx should be equal to the mark VII ! As I try 3 of that sax. I feel like mark VII !! However, you can go to e-bay and check what is going on!

Reply To Post