Saxophone Forum

by pattern_sound
(3 posts)
19 years ago

yamaha Z or series iii

yo- if you had to choose between an unlacquered yamaha custom Z tenor and a selmer series II or III, which would you choose and why? anyone with experience on the yamaha Z? sterile souless or good horn? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GordonGekko
    (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: yamaha Z or series iii

I think that ultimately, you need to try different horns and find which one works best for you. In addition, it is not only the horn, but the mouthpiece and reeds you select. In the end, a great player can make any horn sound great. Regards, GG

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with GG but I've only had experience with Selmer and student Yamaha. Never experience with the pro Yama, but I liked the Selmer. It was a Super Action 80 tenor (not Series II, just SA80). It was my band directors and I played it in two concerts plus used it for numerous rehersals. The only thing I didn't care for it was the backpressure I got from it (but that coulda been my own fault). I'd go with Selmer just b/c it seems that they would have more experience with the sax industry. Some will disagree, but that's nature. Did you ask this for opinion on buying? If so, I hope you can pick a horn that's right for you. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

unlaquared customs Z's are perfect for jazz and classical but concert its not so favorable. it can project and become extremily bright

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't go for an unlacquered horn. True, the lacquer does deaden some of the resonation, but not enough to warrent giving up the protection the lacquer offers. I really like the Yamaha 82Z. They play very well, and they are a great value for a pro quality horn. They are very bright; better suited for jazz than symphonic or concert band. I'm not a Selmer fan at all, and I really don't care for the Series II and Series III Selmers. I have a Series III soprano that has been a big disappointment; pearl inlays falling out, corks coming off, constant adjustments....the quality is very poor for the price. I would also consider the Keilwerth SX 90 if I were you. GREAT horn! My favorite new horn by far. Just get an old Conn 10M like mine! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!