Saxophone Forum

by stray dog
(16 posts)
19 years ago

Alto sound

Like many of you, I am a former serious musician interested in getting back to it. Looking for a new alto, and I'll try out as many instrument / mouthpiece combinations as I can. For what it's worth, rather than trying to find the proper adjectives, the sound I'm after is Paul Desmond. I'm curious as to which instruments, mouthpieces, ligatures, reeds some of you would suggest toward that end. I'll look forward to your comments. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto sound

I'd look for a Conn 6M or a Buescher Aristocrat or 400

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sstitt
      (10 posts)

19 years ago

I'd add the Martin handcraft to Connsaxman's candidates. Maybe a vintage Brilhart eboline MP.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

The Couf artist line of Mpcs are also conducive to such a sound.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Martin or King would also be good choices; however, I think the Conn or Buescher would give you more of a Desmond sound. I believe Desmond played a Buescher True Tone, and later an Aristocrat

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by mgasax
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

I'm a huge PD fan and get a sound similar to his from my set-up.... a Silver Conn New Wonder...Selmer C* mouthpiece...Rovner Ligature...and Zonda reeds. Works for me.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I tried to find out what Desmond played in his earlier years. In the late 50's or early 60's, he started playing Selmer, but in his early years after WWII, I believe he played a Buescher. He was originally a clarinet player. The Conn New Wonder and Buescher True Tone sound very similar. The Buescher True Tone had a better intonation than the Conn New Wonder series I. The New Wonder Series II had better intonation and a better key configuration. Even the Conn 6M and Buescher Aristocrats have a great sound, like Paul Desmond.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

I think he used a Gregory mouthpiece and like Jim says, a Selmer in later years. In addition to trying to match his equipment, remember to adjust your chops and your playing attitude to suit. Gotta be on the cool side.

Reply To Post

1. by stray dog
            (16 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your interesting and informative responses. I can see that I'm going to like this forum.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

IIRC, he also played a closed piece with very hard reeds.

Reply To Post

3. by stray dog
            (16 posts)

19 years ago

If I wanted to select a modern sax what would some of you suggest? Thanks.

Reply To Post