Saxophone Forum

by closelabs
(10 posts)
19 years ago

Conn 14M mouthpiece

I reacquired my 1956 Conn Director (Shooting Star) Alto after 40 years. I have been playing at church for about 8 months. I have a Yamaha 5C mouthpiece and know I will change when I figure out what I want to sound like. I have been reading your discussions on sound and mouthpieces and would like to get the original mouthpiece that came with this instument. It was white plastic. Does anyone know where I might look?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn 14M mouthpiece

White plastic? A Brillhart Tonalin perhaps? They're pretty hard to find anymore. Try looking on ebay. I have a Conn Precision mouthpiece that I got with a 1963 Conn 14M. It's in pretty good shape. It's black though. I would be willing to sell it for like $20

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, it could have been a Conn Comet piece, Ive seen those in black/cl;ear/white an a few other colors. The precision though is what generally came wit tose I think but Ive only seenthem in black? Well just another mystery of the sax world

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That's true. I forgot about the comet mouthpieces. I have a baritone comet piece in red. It looks dorky as hell, but came with an old 12M I bought that is around the same era. I've never seen a white comet though; just stupid colors and the clear. I really don't think they're that great. If you LIKED this mouthpiece, I'd guess that it was a Brilhart Tonalin. I just got one for tenor. Keep watching ebay and you might find one for alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo!