Saxophone Forum

by RedskinBob
(1 post)
19 years ago

playing time

I cannot seem to play longer than 45 min -- and then I cannot make 1/2 the notes in upper registers -- I change reed and all is perfect again. Why? How do I fix this. Using new tenor sax, 3 1/2 Vandoren reeds -- tried plastic coated ones -- results same. Never had this happen in college band. Very frustrating.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jaggtagg7
    (40 posts)

19 years ago

Re: playing time

question, do u start on brand new reed- not broken in, straight from the box ? it could be that they start to get "weaker" after the 45 min. you said you change reed, do you mean you get a new one? i'd say try different sizes, although i'm not an expert thats what i'd do. and maybe try breaking in some and seeing what happens, if the same thing or not.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like a combination of things. If you haven't played in a while and you're just getting back into it, you need to work on your emboucher again. It will all come back to you in time. Second, I would try a 2 or 2 1/2 reed instead of the 3 1/2, and I would not recommend a filed (french cut) reed. I haven't had the best luck with Vandoren V16's either. Go with a Med. soft LaVos, or even a plain old orange box Rico. Finally, what mouthpiece are you using? You may want to choose a different facing. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mintyfreshjam
      (48 posts)

19 years ago

Play long tones. It will warm up the reed and the muscles in your face. It will also help to strengthen those muscles so that you can last longer than 45 minutes. If the reed feels like it's dying, don't go with a weaker reed. It'll just die faster. Go with a harder reed. If you're playing on a 3 1/2, try a 4. All reeds are different. No box of reeds contains two exact reeds. A way to keep from going through reeds may be to work on them with a knife and shave off some of it or by a reed trimmer to clip the tip a little and make it a bit stiffer. Most any reed knife will work and the best clippers seem to be Cartier. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

minty, I understand what you're saying about the thickness of the reed, and in most cases, I would probably jump up to a thicker reed, but he's already using a 3 1/2. I would go with a more open mouthpiece and go to a 2 1/2 reed.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Playing a 2 1/2 will just die faster. Although you may have a point in that going to a softer reed will help build up the chops again. However, I wouldn't change mouthpieces. That will only add to the frustration. Keep the mouthpiece a constant and change reeds as you suggest as the variable. I would recommend a 3 before a 2 1/2 though.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, If you're using a 3 1/2 reed and still having problems, I wouldn't go with a harder reed. I really don't think that the problem is as much the reed as it is the emboucher. Going to a more open facing with a softer reed will definately help.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

I had always played a Link 8* STM on my Tenor through my college years. When I picked it up a few years later to play in a blues band my mouth started to fall apart after an hour or so. Emilio suggested a Claude Lakey Jazz. It was effortless and loud enough for me to build my chops up while still playing regularly. Now I'm back to the Link or a Dukoff, but keep the Lakey in the side pocket in case I hurt my mouth or something.

Reply To Post