Saxophone Forum

by slydy
(2 posts)
8 years ago

C.G. Conn silver alto saxophone M167967 L

Hello,

I'm wondering about the history and value of this saxophone.  The serial number is 1119954 A, M167697 L, patented Dec 8, 1914.  The instrument is silver (finish?) with a gold bell, mother of pearl key touches, and has intricate flower engraving with a hummingbird.  My grandfather played this sax in high school circa 1924.  I inherited the sax in 1968, had it repadded, and played it in high school jazz band (1969-70) and last honked on it in 1979.  The sax is in its original case and I always swabbed it out after playing and wiped down the keys and exterior with a soft towel.  It has been stored in a closet in my house with controlled temperature and humidity.  There are no dents, scratches etc.  In other words, this instrument has been well taken care of, but not played in 37 years.  The pads still look good, same with key action although I have not bought any reeds to try playing it again.  Not sure I have the wind to blow it after all these years.  I will take pictures and post soon.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

8 years ago

Re: C.G. Conn silver alto saxophone M167967 L

This is a nice serial number range for what is known as the new wonder series.

The hummingbird engraving makes it a one of a kind piece and increases its value.

Most Special engraving was done on gold plated horns, but Conn also put custom engraving on silver horn.

1800 is my value after a tune up.

Reply To Post

(644 posts)

8 years ago

2. by slydy
      (2 posts)

8 years ago

Thanks for the information.  Would you like to see pictures of the sax? I will post some later.  Assume that if I want to sell the sax, would I need an appraisal by an expert locally? I'm in metro Atlanta.

Reply To Post

(644 posts)

8 years ago

There is a trading post tab here on this site. I would put it both there and on Craigslist.

You can post pictures to both.

Good Luck

Reply To Post