Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

Series III or Reference?

This question was probably already asked... but I have a choice between a Matte finish Selmer Series III alto sax, or a Reference. I really liked both of them....and I wanted to know if you have any opinions on which one to buy. I usually prefer a darker tone - and I was surprised that both of these particular horns were dark. Any ideas? Thanks, Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Series III or Reference?

Kara they are both great horns. I like the reference better because of the finish. I played the 54 and it comparable to a Mark VI.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Was the Reference a 54 or a 36 Kara? The ref. 36 and Series III are both based on the Super Balanced Action, the Reference 54 is based on the Mark VI. I do think that the quality of the Reference series is a little better than the Series III, as these are Selmer's flagship models.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

it was a reference 54. i've played both the series III and the reference and was impressed by both... i dunno....

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

19 years ago

i would suggest if at all possible to explore more options. yea they are nice horns but there are a lot of other nice horns out there too. check out the new yamahas they are really nice and priced WAY more reasonable then the selmers.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I think the quality of the Ref. 36 and Ref 54 is much better than the Series III. The Ref. 54 is based on the most popular saxophone ever created; the Selmer Mark VI. That would be my recommendation between the 2.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Not to get off-topic, I think the statements surrounding the Reference 54 being based off of the Mark VI quite funny. I mean, after the marketing failure that was the mark VII, Selmer got back to us with the SuperAction 80, the NEW Mark VI as they'de have you believe. A few years later, here comes the Series II, another Selmer horn based on the Mark VI, or so they said albiet improved in it's Mark VI likeness, but no, wait! Next they come out the Series III which is supposedly more Mark VI than the Mark VI, except with improved venting of the C#. Now comes the Reference 54, the one true copy of the Mark VI du jour, albiet with improved intonation and all. Not only that, but Yanagisawa and Yamaha first cut their teeth in the pro market by manufacturing Mark VI clones.

Reply To Post

3. by jazz625
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

The most profound statement off all!!! I have been battling with this topic for years!! And I still can't make my mind up. I have played them all, Yam's, Yani's, Selmer 54/36/II/III/Mk6/Mk7, Keliworth, Gardarla. I was blown away by the Series 3 Selmer and at the time I owned a series 2. So I bought the Series 3. Now however, I'm not so sure anymore??? I've had the Series 3 for a couple of years, and now I fancy a change... Going back to the discussion about the Mk6/54 and 36. I have to agree to 'johnsonfromwisconsin' (nice name by the way). Selmer have been trying to better, equal, or what ever the Mk 6 since 1974!! So, best to play them all. and then pick your horn... Here is a little bit of interesting trivial. Sonny Rollins has been seen leaving a recording session with a selmer bundy!! We may as well give up ;-) Good luck.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

NOBODY can compete with Selmer when it comes to the marketing game! Now when it comes to quality saxophones, while Selmer has pretty much lived off the reputation of their Mark VI and the affordability of their Bundy student models, Yanagisawa and Yamaha have taken the original Mark VI design and perfected it into a quality, easy playing instrument that is relatively affordable. I think their overall quality is much better than the Selmer Paris for considerably less money.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

From what technicians have told me, that is correct. I really prefer a good Selmer 54 Alto or 36 tenor over *all* else, and their Series II and III horns score high with me as well, but it sounds like it takes a lot of work to get a lot of horns up to snuff with what Yani and Yama ships out of their factory as far as setup.

Reply To Post

2. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights will give best advice here.All Saxophones are different.Until you throw air through it you wont know.Nowadays the knights realise that consistancy is a factor but until you blow them you wont know.Whats one persons heaven is another persons hell.Patrick has done a nice job keeping the tradition alive at the factory where ever possible.Its a personal thing.Every mouthpiece works different on every horn.Then the reed thing.They are both made very well as always by the Selmer company.New means no wear,worth considering but in terms of the darkest horn out of two are similar we would choose the reference but for best results of a dark horn Vintage without a doubt.

Reply To Post

1. by O_o
          (9 posts)

19 years ago

I have a Series III and I regret not getting the reference now. The reference looks SO much cooler and plays nicer. It's an all around more jazzy horn. If you're into more traditional music the III is the way to go, but for Jazz the reference is the way. Tango: You've been mentioning the Knights a lot, do they have a website or anything, a lot of the advice you've been posting from them have been pretty helpful. Thanks!

Reply To Post