Saxophone Forum

by ivoryjukebox
(1 post)
19 years ago

Rock soloist with questions.

i play solo tenor sax in a christian rock band. i've been playing for about a year and a half, but i'm dissatisfied with my tone/sound. is there a certain kind of mouthpiece or reed i can get to get a more of a "colorful" sound? examples: You Belong to the City, Glen Frey; Who Can It Be Now, the Police. thx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by someguy
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Rock soloist with questions.

There is probably,... 1000 threds on this web sight asking a similar question. Go metal with a 2.5 reed. I use an otto link 7 with a F. Louis ligature on it. I can play just about anything, if I was any good.

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
      (148 posts)

19 years ago

Dukoff 8 with a Vandoren Java 3. (and scotch)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Dukoffs are ok, but I think an Otto Link New York 6* would be a better choice. They are available from www.giardinelli.com for around $109. I prefer the Rico Jazz Select or LaVoz reeds. The last few Vandorens I bought were terribly inconsistent. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Kenneth Brown
      (1 post)

19 years ago

The Runyon Quantum is my first choice for rock. It has a lot of punch, gets edgier when pushed, and it's loud, has a nice thick sound. The best price I found for Runyons is at www.gigdust.com. "If you really want to rock, get a Runyon" is a quote I've read which I've found to be true. : )

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

sometimes its not the reed or mouthpiece fault... try changing ur embrochure. keep ur chin firm.

Reply To Post