Saxophone Forum

by PAW
(7 posts)
19 years ago

trading in my Buescher True Tone sop..........

I have decided to sell my Buescher True Tone and go with a newer, less expensive sop. I have been reading the threads on this website pertaining to sops. I have come away thinking I want to try an Antigua, maybe a YS590 - possibly from Mr. Kessler in Vegas. I read a lot of good things about him here, then visited his site. The Buescher is my first sop. I have played alto for 30 years and last year bought this horn, as I have always wanted one. It just doesn't fit me well, so I am going a new way now. I do really like the Buescher mpc, though. Does anyone have any info on the quality of mpc that Antigua offers? Also, just wondering about your wise opinions of my decision. I know from reading here, many of you feel the Antigua, though not of the same caliber as a vintage, do have value for their price range. Just wanted to jaw with y'all about it.............thanx in advance for any input.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: trading in my Buescher True Tone sop..........

The mouthpiece that comes with the Antiguas isn't up to the quality of the horn. It is stuffy and not very flexible. I found the facing to be too small for me as well. While it isn't the absolute worst mp I've gotten with a new instrument, I think that at the very least, you will want to take Dave Kessler's advice, and get a Morgan Pro Tone to use as a new starting point, and go from there. The Pro Tone works well with this horn, and is a great piece, for the low price it costs, or any price. Ralph Morgan makes fantastic Mouthpieces.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

By the way, if there is any way that you can hang on to the True Tone AND get your new Antigua, I highly advise you to do so. I have 8 Soprano's in my collection, vintage and new, and the Bueschers have the best intonation and tone among all of the vintage ones. Other than the keywork, it is my favorite.

Reply To Post

1. by PAW
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your input. To tell you the truth, I am not very happy with my Buescher. I have played it for 8 months or so now, have had 3 different people check it out and adjust things. I still have a breathy sound to the middle register, mostly C and D. Moving between those two notes is sketchy as well. The lower and upper register sound great, though. I have tried to accept that it is vintage and will not play perfectly, (even though I have had people tell me it should sing like a canary!) I also wanted to give myself time to get used to it and improve at it, as I am new to the soprano, but I am tired of fussing with it and not being satisfied. I am thinking of keeping the Buescher mpc for the new horn. I haven't yet decided how to sell. I am thinking eBay, which is how I bought it. I may list it in my local papers first. If I loved the horn, I wouldn't be buying an Antigua. Guess that is why I won't be keeping it. I am hoping to sell the Buescher, but the Antigua, and have enough money left over for a double case..............

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

I'm assuming that you've had the horn checked out regarding the Pads, keywork adjustment, octave pip (some early TT had octave pip dimentions/placement issues that can be fixed) etc? It could be that you have a bad horn. Let's face it, there are plain old lemons out there, even amongs otherwise excellent models/makes of saxophones. If this is the case with yours, by all means trade her in for an Antigua. Who needs the unnecessary anguish and fuss? The new Antigua will be as easy and as trouble free as it gets in the world of Sopranos.

Reply To Post