Saxophone Forum

by Tianna
(1 post)
19 years ago

Tenor Saxophone

Hello! My name is Britney Rindom, and I play the tenor for my high school band. I started playing tenor because people told me I couldn't do it because I was a girl. So, I decided to play tenor, and my teacher says that I am the best tenor that she has. The only thing I hate about being in the high school band, is we have to have a "section leader". My section leader sucks. All he does is sleep. He doesn't even try to play. He was one of the ones that said I couldn't play the tenor.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Tenor Saxophone

Challenge him, and take his spot! Dont let him have that over you undeservingly That being said, welcome to the forum

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

One of the best tenor players I've ever heard is Cat...I forget her last name, but she plays with a band called Art-of-fact, and they play in the Waterford/Lake Orion Michigan area a lot. She also plays flute, and she is absolutely amazing! I had the pleasure of playing with her a couple times. I'm no slouch on tenor, and I can pretty much hold my own even with the best of them, but playing with this lady was definately a humbling experience!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by dhopson
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

I had a crush on our girl tenor player in HS. I think I still do! Tenor players are sexy ;) Your section lead won't be there forever. I watched our lead get complacent without any compeition. Ask him to at least snore in key. Keep playing well and you may get his spot. BTW - We also had a girl on Bari. Keep playing, prove them wrong.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

I started out on Tenor for the simple reason that the one tenor in our very small school would be graduating two years later, no problems with competition. I was a girl, too (now too old to be called a girl), but no one ever made any kind of comment to the effect that girls couldn't play Tenor. I even received stars in the music contests for solos. In college, I played both Tenor and Baritone saxophones in the concert band. Just don't give any credit to people who speak from ignorance and bias about something about which they know nothing. How would your section leader know that "girls can't play tenor," since he obviously isn't one? On the plus side, his sarcasm may have sparked a competitive edge in you, and if you use it constructively, it can make you a very good Tenor Sax player.

Reply To Post