Saxophone Forum

by dlove
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Purchasing sax for 6th grader

My son has been playing sax for 2 yrs. He is doing quite well and wants to continue. His rental is up on his Selmer Student Horn so we need to purchase him a new one. We're having a hard time deciding on a Yamaha YAS-23 or should we bite the bullet and take a step up into a YAS-475 intermeidate horn. He's played several including the 475 and he likes that one. He has not played a 23 yet. I've also seen a couple of Yas-52's in great shape on Ebay. I know that the 475 was the replacement for the 52. Any thoughts about the 52? Right now the price difference between a 23 and a 475 is about $500. Would we be able to get by with the 23 say through his jr. or sr. year or are we going to have to buy another horn in 2 to 3 yrs. My wife and I both have Master's degrees in music but neither one in sax so we would appreciate any input . THANKS

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Purchasing sax for 6th grader

The YAS475 is more an intermediate level horn, and a step above a YAS23, but the YAS23 is a GREAT beginner horn. The YAS 475 has a few features that would be better if he decided to continue playing beyond high school. The YAS 475 and YAS 62 are constructed a differently than the 23 and I think they have a better tone also. The YAS 52 is constructed more like the YAS 23, only with a hi F# key, and is also considered an intermediate model. The model that impressed me the most is the YAS 62 Series II (intermediate-pro level) which sells for around $1900. GREAT horn for the money!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Connsaxmanjim. A YAS 62 is a great, great horn. I have played my friends and i recommend it.

Reply To Post

1. by dlove
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the response. The YAS 62 is just too expensive for us at this point. Which would be better. A NEW YAS 23 or a used YAS 52 that's in great shape? No dents, no scratches on the 52. Basically the same price.

Reply To Post