Saxophone Forum

by mark7
(30 posts)
19 years ago

advice for a new soprano

hi guys, new guy here. havent played sop in a while and was thinking of putting it back in my setup. the last sop i played was a selmer 80. im looking at the following brands yamaha, yani, antigua (pretty cheap) and selmer. any suggestions? or should i go vintage? if so any good ones? i prefer the curved ones actually. tnx, mark

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: advice for a new soprano

Best bet is a Yanagisawa - either new or used. Should be able to get a curved 900 series in excellent condition for $1200-$1500 and it is worth every penny. Straight Yanis from the mid 70's tagged "Vito" with "Japan" by the serial number are the best bang for the buck at around a grand in excellent condition. Antigua is OK if you don't want to spend that much, but I've found the best reviews about Antigua come from people a little too close to the distributorship in my opinion. The one I played was OK - not great - just OK. For soprano, in particular, I think it's worth it to spend a little more so you don't have to fight with it.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: advice for a new soprano

I had just cashed my income tax check a year ago, and I walked into a local music store and I played a Selmer Series III soprano, and I don't think I even played another horn to compare it to. I wanted a Selmer. I bought it; paid too much for it, and after playing it for a year, I decided that it wasn't what I wanted at all. I bought an old Conn New Wonder Series II Straight Soprano, which I am in the process of restoring right now. It's a neat old horn. I'm anxious to get it all together and see how it plays. I bought a Keilwerth SX-90 soprano this past February. I got a great deal on it, and it's a fantastic horn. I played a Yamaha and a Yanagisawa before buying the Keilwerth and they both played very well, but I prefer the sound of the Keilwerth. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!