Saxophone Forum

by dhopson
(8 posts)
19 years ago

setup for Mark VI Blues

You blues players, what is your fav setup for the Mark VI? My Otto Link doesn't give me the sound I'm after. I've never liked the setup. I've also never played the BARI synthetic reeds. What are the benefits and trade-offs?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: setup for Mark VI Blues

A Mark VI just doesn't cut it for blues. Get a Chu Berry , or a 10M with an Otto Link Super Tone Master and WHOA....It'll knock your socks off! I use a silver 1929 Chu tenor for my blues gigs and it sounds amazing!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

You didn't specify alto or tenor, so I guess I'll address both. On alto, any good jazz piece will do as long as it gets a fat sound. Stay away from really high baffles and small chambers as they'll make your tone sound pinched. I like a tip opening of around 90, but play what's comfortable for you. For tenor, the closest I can come is a Balanced Action that I used to have. I used a Berg Larsen metal 110 - 2 SMS. Would have preferred an M facing, but it came with the horn and worked pretty well. More edge than the Link I currently use. Again, try for the fat sound. Now for the important stuff. While it's true, an old Conn will indeed melt your soul, I think that it's more up to you to do the work. Dig down deep and mean what you play and you'll be 90% there.

Reply To Post

1. by dhopson
      (8 posts)

19 years ago

Oops! It is a tenor. Thanks for the reposnses. While I like the otto link (super tone master #5), I just can't get a sound that I like. To borrow your desription, it does sound pinched. Its also a bit sluggish, I could have better response. So, other than using BWWW's return policy, how do I compare mpc's? Is there a post here that addesses mpc characteristics?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

How to make a Mark VI sound good: 1. First, strip all keys, pads and corks from saxophone. 2. Now, put saxophone in compactor and compact into cube. 3. Drive to Elkhart, Indiana, find old molds for Conn saxophone. 4. Melt former Mark VI, which is now brass cube into liquid brass and pour into old Conn mold 5. Wait for metal to cool. 6.Take keys and melt them down also. 7. Make new keys according to Conn specifications. 8. Repad using Conn metal resonator pads. 9 Replace corks, springs, and felt 10. Purchase Otto Link or Meyer mouthpiece. 11. Play and enjoy your new saxophone!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Problem with your method is the french brass may have too many impurities in it!!!! Dave

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Haha....Good point Dave!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

So that's how you get Conned out of a Mark VI. I love my Mark VI, but wouldn't generally play it at a blues gig. I'd normally use the Super 20 with the Dukoff 8. Sometimes I'll use the Dukoff or a Runyon on the Mark VI and it's too tempting to stay within the stratosphere.

Reply To Post

4. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, I think you'd get better resale using the "lamp format"...but if you gotta melt it down, do it in Nogales.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Actually blackfrancis, a lot of those old molds were destroyed. What few old molds and stuff that are left were taken back to Elkhart in the 80's when Dan Henkin moved Conn back to Elkhart. Those Selmer bastards own everything now, so they probably did away with all the old Conn stuff. Who knows, I'd like to drive to Elkhart sometime just to have a look in their dumpsters! Mark VI's are good horns. I knock Selmer more for their business practices and politics, more so than the quality of their horns. I own a Mark VI tenor. I have a special spot in my closet where it sits and collects dust! If I was playing with an orchestra again, I might use it, but for the music I play, the Selmer just doesn't have enough balls to suit me.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

Aye, that may indeed be an interesting dumpster... But seriously, I too have lots of respect for Selmer horns. Had a tenor and still have an alto and the VI is a great one, but like Jim, it just doesn't speak to me like a Super 20 or that naked Lady.

Reply To Post