Saxophone Forum

by Mike Pearce
(2 posts)
19 years ago

differences between these two

I am new to saxquest,I use a Conn 6M transitional at present which needs a lot of repair work.While it is being repaired in the UK (I live in Spain)I will be treating myself to either a Selmer Ref 54 or the Yanagisawa 9933.Anybody like to give me some opinions on these two?I'm trying to spend my pension before my wife does.Regards Mike Pearce

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: differences between these two

I really don't care much for either one. If you're used to the the vintage Conns, look at the Keilwerth SX 90R.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Mike Pearce
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for the prompt reply. Now I am confused ,two friends have told me to stay away from the Keilwerth brand.I only picked on those two on advice and price.I'm not getting shut of my old Conn but I need a stopgap while its being fixed.I'm well aware that saxes can sound very different in other peoples hands,mouthpieces,where you are blowing from,reeds etc.so I want something thats going to get the sound I want.I'm going to the UK next week to get her repaired and try a few new ones out,I'm feeling rash so come on more suggestions please

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Perhaps one of your friends had a bad experience with a student model Keilwerth or a Kohlert which sounds similar. Of the newer horns I have tried, they are my favorite hands down. The quality of the newer Selmers is not as good as the older Selmers, while their prices continue to soar. The Yanagisawas play nice, but I'm just not a big fan of their sound. The Keilwerth SX 90 is the most like the vintage saxophones in terms of sound and feel, with a better, modern action, and a few other advancements. The SX-90R has soldered on tone rings like the rolled tone holes on the vintage Conns. They sound a lot like an old Conn. They're German made, and the quality is better than any of the French Selmers I have tried. Another suggestion if you're looking to save a few $$$ would be the Yamaha 62 series II or the 82Z. While they lack the vintage feel and sound of the Keilwerth, they play very well, and the quality is very good for the price.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by waxman
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Mike I have got a Keilworth SX90R tenor 75th anniversary model. Very few of these were made and it is is in almost mint condition and for sale at ?2000 ono. If you are interested my wife can email you info and photos of the saxophone from her office email which is: [email protected], please feel free to send her an email that she can reply to. We are based in Jersey but emigrating to Australia in 6 weeks time so need the cash.

Reply To Post