Saxophone Forum

by Tully
(49 posts)
19 years ago

Jupiter Artist Series

I'm in serious need of an upgrade from my YTS-23, but money is a serious consideration, so I was wondering if anyone has some experience with the Jupiter 889SG Artist Series tenor. $1689 is a great price, but I can't help but wonder if it's really a decent sax. Incidentally, are they, too, made in Taiwan?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by PIP
    (29 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jupiter Artist Series

Hi! I currently own a Cannonball 98 Knight series alto, a Selmer(Paris) Series III alto, and a Jupiter Artist series tenor. I picked the Jupiter over the Cannonball Big Bell. For me personally the artist series has been amazing . My private instructor borrowed it just last weekend to perform. It has a solid feel as well as a good tone. My only complaint is that the action is a little slow. It is a solid interpro horn. In the end though it comes down to what works best for you.

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
      (49 posts)

19 years ago

Whe you say the action is slow, I assume you mean it's sort of stiff? I'm lukewarm on Cannonballs, so it'll be interesting to try the 889. Unfortunately, everyone in my area is out of them for the time being. If you've played a YTS-62II, how would you say they compare, and what made you choose it over the Cannonball?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by aravaioli
    (24 posts)

19 years ago

The Jupiter Artist, while being an upgrade to your YTS-23, it would not be a great upgrade. Look instead on Ebay for an used B&S 2001 or an Allora saxophone on Music123 which is almost the same as the 2001 (still built by B&S). I have the 2001 and it's a player dream, superior to the YTS-62 and according to my instructor also to his Custom Z !

Reply To Post

3. by aravaioli
    (24 posts)

19 years ago

The Jupiter Artist, while being an upgrade to your YTS-23, it would not be a great upgrade. Look instead on Ebay for an used B&S 2001 or an Allora saxophone on Music123 which is almost the same as the 2001 (still built by B&S). I have the 2001 and it's a player dream, superior to the YTS-62 and according to my instructor also to his Custom Z !

Reply To Post