Saxophone Forum

by galactic
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Scales for soloing

well my school is doing the musical grease next week, and whne the other tenor sax does his solo in the song Born to Hand Jive, it drives me mental. It stays within the chords but it really bugs me. Do you think using a blues scale would work better than using chords in like a B7 etc, or a major scale?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Scales for soloing

It depends on the style of music, but I usually use a little of both, mostly using the blues scale. You get a different sound with the different chords, and its appropriate, the blues scale usually sounds a lot better. -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
      (49 posts)

19 years ago

The key to sounding good with the blues scale is to use it sparingly, but at key moments. When I hear people using nothing but the blues scale for more than a few bars, it takes me back to junior high jazz band, although I don't mean it's a bad thing. Like I said, it's all about using it well.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

yea for something like that its probably more than ok and prefered why 1. its a real bluesy song 2. the solo is probably short 3. the audience will just think O thats good because they dont know anybetter i would go with the blues scale

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, barimachine made some good points. A growl or two might be a nice effect, as well.

Reply To Post AIM