Saxophone Forum

by GzsKerqt
(77 posts)
19 years ago

how to get rid of the squeak?

I'm an alto sax player in my high sch band. I've played for 2half yrs. But sometimes i cannot stop it from 'squeaking'. Anyone knows?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: how to get rid of the squeak?

If it happens more often when you first take your horn out of the case, then you're probably not wetting your reed enough. Also, you may want to try a softer reed. If you continue having problems, I would have the saxophone checked for leaks.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by GzsKerqt
      (77 posts)

19 years ago

leaks? u mean the padding breaks? kkz.. thx..

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The pads wear, or the keys get out of alignment, so they don't close properly. It could be that you have a pad that needs to be replaced, but it could just be a key that needs to be adjusted.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by simonknight
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

I would suggest you check that you are setting your reed correctly on the m/piece. Make sure the tip of the reed comes right to the end of the rail - if you can see the rail when you press the reed against the mouthpiece it is not far enough. Also, experiment with your embouchre - try a little less reed in your mouth if you are squaking.

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

it is possible to produce squeaks by hitting keys in the upper register by mistake all so lightly. sometimes you may bump the octave key just a hair, or the left palm keys depending how high they are set up. be aware of how you hold the horn.

Reply To Post