Saxophone Forum

by StratmanBaze
(61 posts)
19 years ago

new alto sax...?

I asked about a vintage alto sax and if I remember correctly connsaxman_jim said something like a vintage conn. would this be a good buy? not saying that I'm going to buy it or anything, but is it a good deal? whats the model name?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: new alto sax...?

Betcha he says Conn 6M. Betcha I agree. I just got one and I'm INSPIRED! Not to say there aren't other great ones out there (Buescher, King and Martin to name a few). Nothing quite like a vintage horn- try a few and see for yourself!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, CONN 6M. King, Martin and Buescher are good too, but the Conn 6M's are awesome! I've had so many people take notice of the underslung octave key too. They're just unique, and they sound incredible!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by StratmanBaze
        (61 posts)

19 years ago

alright, what would be good (as far as serial numbers go) and how much should they cost?

Reply To Post

1. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'd follow that one up to about $500 then give up unless you are equipped and knowledgeable in restoration - just in case you have a repair bill ahead of you after you receive it.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'm restoring an older Yani alto (late 60's, early 70's), and play a late 70's Yani sop. The older Yani (branded or stencil) horns are of good design and manufacture. I've not been disappointed with how they play when they are in good repair, and they can be had at a decent price.

Reply To Post