Saxophone Forum

by bravo6
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Nonmusician "discovers" the sax

I have never played an instrument in my 55 years. I heard small bit of "birds lament" on NPR from Sax Pax for a Sax and became obsessed. I finally tracked a CD down from Amozon UK and have listened to it endlessly. I shocked (frightened) my wife today when I said I wanted to learn how to play the sax. When I looked at prices it was my turn to be frighteded *grin*. So how does quixotic fool proceed to explore the possibility without threatening his marraige?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Nonmusician "discovers" the sax

Marriage problems aside.. The best way to get into saxophone playing is to enlist the help of a local teacher and rent from them or the store for a few months. After you have a good idea as to whether saxophone is for you in a few months, ask the teacher for assistance purchasing a quality second hand instrument. I think that plan has the best possiblity for success and will be the most affordable way to get a good horn that meets your needs. Good used instruments can cost much less than brand new, give all the quality and playability of a new instrument if maintained well, and hold a resale value very well.

Reply To Post

2. by retromom
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Bravo, I just started playing { or i'm learning to play} the sax in Mid February and i'm 50 years old. I never played any other instrument in my life. My husband was a bit surprised when I told him about my plans too! I rented a sax from the local music store that rents student instruments to the schools and I take my lessons from the teacher who is at my daughters elementary school {my ten year old has a lot of musical talent but no interest in music and I am the exact opposite}. I go for a private lesson once a week and i'm actually currently looking to buy my own sax. I'm really enjoying this whole thing. I know i'll never be a pro but I love learning. Good luck to you. PS I also bought a few self help books and I do believe that it was worth it. I don't think they could ever replace a teacher as I still NEED a live lesson once a week to reinforce what I read and learn in the the books .

Reply To Post

1. by bravo6
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Retromom, Thanks for the response. Its heartening to know I am not alone with my addiction *grin*. I've called two sources here in the St. Louis area and am still gathering information. Where and when do you practice? I fear that initially I will be a liability in the neighborhood. The next door neighbor has a new baby ... you get the point. One store has an instructor that charges $60 a month for 4 half hour lessons. Is 30 minutes at a shot enough? Perhaps the professionals in the forum can recommend the best approach for learning this thing. Perhaps I'm obsessing and need to just DO IT.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Those four half hour lessons will be the best $60 you could spend as a new player. 30 minutes is plenty - just don't let the time get eaten up in chatter - depending on the instructor, they will be good about using the time efficiently. You are the one paying for that time. If they want to sit there and tell stories or talk about themselves and their experience, tell them to save it and discuss it over lunch some other time (they're buying, by the way). As a beginner, your embouchre will tire after only a few minutes of playing, and a good instructor will not give you too much to absorb and practice in one shot. They should start by getting you the fundamentals - posture and embouchre. If they start by teaching you a bunch of fingerings, then find a new instructor. I won't teach a new student any fingerings aside from B, A, and G until they can hold a steady tone with some acceptable level of quality. I don't bore them to death - I just make sure that the foundation is strong before building the frame.

Reply To Post