Saxophone Forum

by Tyhawk
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Advice on Selmer

My son is progressing with the alto sax in school and needs to move from his beginner sax (Buescher) to a more intermediate sax. We are looking at a Selmer Artist Series LTD52 but I can't find any info on them. He loved it when he played it in the store but is it the best choice for his level?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Advice on Selmer

What type of Buescher is he playing on? Older ones especially those made before Selmer bought the Buescher company are killer horns. Some of the BEST values in modern intermediate/semi pro horns are the Yamahas, Keilwerths, and Yanigisawas. I highly suggest you try those out. The Selmer LTD52 is a Selmer USA horn amd while good looking and fairly sturdy as far as horns go - the general concensus has been that they lack overall.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Tyhawk
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

It's a Buescher Aristocrat. Serial number 611498. I appreciate your advice. He just tried the Selmer at Brooks Mays and liked the way it felt. I could get a used Super Action 80 but he wouldn't have an opportunity to play it before the purchase. We could look at Yamaha easily. Are there Yamaha models you would recommend?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

------------------------------------ It's a Buescher Aristocrat. Serial number 611498. ------------------------------------- Your son's horn was made perhaps more than a decade after the Selmer buyout from buescher. Conventional Wisom says that the Aristocrat's decline after the buyout was rather immediate and the line eventually was rebranded as the 'Bundy'. In fact, I've seen an Aristocrat about the same as your son's and it was pretty much identical to the bundy I played years ago. This means your son's Aristocrat has none of the vintage appeal or value of Aristocrats made during the 40s and 50s, but it could still be a fine horn for a student or intermediate player. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- We could look at Yamaha easily. Are there Yamaha models you would recommend? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- The 62. It's a professional model that's priced very low due to the introduction of newer instruments in Yamahas professional line. Players who own these speak very highly of it's playability and quality. You might as well stay away from other student models and intermediates in lieu of something that will potentially get him through college and possibly the rest of his life. I'd also recommend Yanagisawa.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Johnson. The Yamaha YAS 62 Series II is a GREAT horn! In my opinion, they are the best value on the market right now. It's a pro level horn at a student-intermediate price. As Johnson said, the 62 will carry him through college. I've seen them for under $1900 new online, and they compare to many other horns costing more than $3000

Reply To Post Yahoo!