Saxophone Forum

by burns3c
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Series III or Keilwerth SX90R?

I have been playing my 1926 conn chu berry alto for 6 years, and I am looking to purchase a modern tenor. I have done a ton of "googling" and I've read numerous reviews on both the Keilwerth SX90R and the Selmer Series III model 64. I have not yet actually played either one, but from what I've read both horns have a bigger, brighter, more resonant sound (my personal preference), and both are incredibly responsive. I have much more research to conduct, and I haven't yet ruled out a number of brands (I keep hearing good things about Yamaha and Yanigasawa's "Mark VI clones"), but I've more or less narrowed it down to these two horns. OPINIONS???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Series III or Keilwerth SX90R?

I recently sold a Selmer series III soprano. I wasn't too happy with the instrument's overall quality. I replaced this soprano with a Keilwerth SX-90, and not only is the quality of the Keilwerth much better, the horn has a warmer, darker sound. I really like the tone and quality of the Keilwerth. The only Selmer horns that I would consider are their Reference Series. I'm just not a big fan of Selmer. The Keilwerth SX-90R with the soldered on tone rings sounds the most like your 1926 Chu Berry.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by burns3c
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, right now I am more inclined to get the Keilwerth for a number of reasons (soldered tone rings, bigger sound, sheer uniqueness, PRICE!!)... I am a little skeptical of new selmers as well, seems to me that they've been using their established reputation to sell their horns (which I've heard have gone downhill) grossly overpriced. Every empire crumbles eventually... I think Selmer needs to wake up and lower their prices to compete with Yani, Yama and Keilwerth.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Jim...i havent really liked any of the Series IIIs that i've played because I prefer a darker tone - which the Keilwerth has... Keilwerth also has slightly better prices

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Keilwerth over Series III - hands down.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

I'm curious if any one has done any serious comparison to the SX90 and SX90R. It is hard for me to believe that there is a significant difference in sound and I've seen some reports of the rolled tone holes not being level on all horns. I don't have any first hand knowledge on this but it seems to me that if the only difference is the tone holes it is a hell of a lot of extra money for something that might not make much difference. I guess what I am saying is if you are going to compare a Series III to an SX90R it would make sense to try an SX90 as well.

Reply To Post

1. by p-apple
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

I own a keilwerth sx90r alto sax and I'm not totally convinced the roll tone holes are worth the extra $500-600 or so dollars. I have played a few other rolled tone hole saxophones and I didn't really feel like there was a difference. Overall, the saxophone is great. However, I have never played an sx90 but I could imagine having very similar tone qualities. Regarding the quite famous article about the problematic Keilwerth rolled tone holes, I couldn't verify whether this was true on my sax without guess-imating. The bottom notes aren't really easy to play for me, but I mean, all bottom notes are going to take breath support on any saxophone. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

I like the Series III better. I never really liked any Keilwert I've tried so far. The Series III is a bit brighter with a strong element of warmth, which is what it has to be for me on brighter horns. The ergonomics and keywork were better than Keilwerth's and the Keilwerth Sx90 was just stuffy for me. Setup issues? Could be, but it's not like Selmer's are glowing examples in that department either.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
              (309 posts)

19 years ago

I am new to this forum but I also prefer the series III ,,,,actually a good Mark VII ( that's right) probably has the biggest bore and the darkest sounds of all horns too bad you need to be a good blower to appreciate them.

Reply To Post