Saxophone Forum

by Frankroads
(3 posts)
7 years ago

Conn Saxophone

Hello everyone, I wanted to see if maybe you all could help or give me some information on a Saxophone i just purchased. It has a star etching on it. And only visible number I see on the sax is 4268 on the back. All help appreciated, thanks in advance. Can post pictures if needed...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Conn Saxophone

If it does not say Conn USA or made in USA or made in Elkhart Indiana, it was probably made in mexico. It is considered a student horn, in all above mentioned aspects,  form Conns days of  dying off and  no longer being a viable saxophone manufacturer days.

A few hundred dollars in playable condition is its value.

Reply To Post

1. by Frankroads
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

It does say Conn USA in front by the star design but out back by those numbers it only shows those 4 digits. 

Reply To Post

1. by Frankroads
        (3 posts)

7 years ago

64628 and actually think I see a number in front of the 6 but can't make it out.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

7 years ago

The first character in the serial number is a letter, not a digit.  It will be the key to the year in which it was produced, some time between 1964 when the letter prefix system was adopted and 1970, when Conn USA horns stopped being produced.  Conn student horns were still ok during that era, but they were selling poorly against Selmer Bundy and later Yamaha.

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=ser&manID=3 

Reply To Post