Saxophone Forum

by SaxAppeal422
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Brands of Reeds

I'm all for thrift, so I've been ussing Rico Royal since I began on the alto a couple of years ago. I am aware of how crappy these are. So I thought I might try a different brand. Whats the best for under $3? Also, will the numbers be the same thickness as my #3s?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Brands of Reeds

If you purchase them online, you should be able to get LaVoz reeds for around $3 a piece in bulk. I really don't think the Rico Royals are all that bad, and I like the Rico Jazz Selects. The standard orange box Ricos are not really as bad as people make them out to be.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by The_§ax
      (147 posts)

19 years ago

Stay clear of Ricos!! DANGER RICOS AHEAD Stay clear of LaVoz DANGER LAVOZ'S AHEAD try Vandoren, dont know how much they are in US but great quality, that's all of them. If you are adventurous then try Legere synthetics but have a look at a strenght comparisons chart FIRST! Mainly i think you have to find reeds right for you... so try all of them!!

Reply To Post

1. by altosax
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Whats wrong with Lavoz?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Nothin is wrong with LaVoz, Ive been using them for years. Nothin is truly wrong with Ricos either.. Every type of reed has its strengths and weaknesses, but there really arent many big name reeds that you have to worry about staying clear of

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by altosax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

I also use Lavoz and they work great for me, I use medium or medium hard.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The ONLY reed that I have ever really had problems with is Vandoren. I might try the Legere synthetics, but I am somewhat reluctant to try other synthetic reeds because I did not care for the Fibracells at all! Rico reeds are fine. I've used several of them, even the orange box cheapo's with very few bad ones. A lot of people like to blame their reeds for every little problem; most of which can be contributed to the player, and not the horn or the reed! If you can't play on a cheapo Rico that's 5 months old, cracked, chipped AND warped than what good are you, and how in the heck did you make it through band?!?!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I like Lavoz and rico. I find them pretty danged consistent and playable, just the tone isn't what I'd like. For me, the Vandoren Blueboxes are probably the worst reeds on the market for consistency in finding ones that play well, though they do last quite a while if you can find one. I refuse to pay Vandoren even more money for their "concert select" reeds as their regular blueboxes are expensive enough and I don't see the sense in paying them more for better Q.C. when cheaper reeds do much better in that regard in the first place. I find their V16s and ZZs much better, however.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have to agree with you Johnson. The ZZ's are probably the best Vandoren reeds I've tried, but I haven't had very good luck with the blue box reeds, or the V16's for that matter. I used mostly LaVoz reeds for a long time, and switched over to Vandoren ZZ's and V16's when my local music store stopped selling LaVoz. I like the tone of the ZZ's, but they're a bit pricey, and terribly inconsistant. I really like the unfiled Rico Jazz Select reeds. I want to try the Alexanders. Nobody around here carries them though, so I guess I'm going to have to order them online.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

--------------------------------------------------- I want to try the Alexanders. Nobody around here carries them though, so I guess I'm going to have to order them online. --------------------------------------------------- Yeah, no one I know of actually sells them through retail. I like them very much on alto with my vandoren AL3, but have some issues with the thickness of their vamp on my Selmer piece on tenor. A lot of people rave about them. They sound like a very good Vandoren BB with a bit more color to me.

Reply To Post