Saxophone Forum

by cwhiley
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Jody Jazz mouthpieces

Has anyone seen (or better yet played) this new Jody Jazz DV mouthpiece? It looks pretty impressive, I'd LOVE to try one! www.jodyjazz.com/dv1.html

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jody Jazz mouthpieces

Looks like a nice mouthpiece. I have yet to try any of Jody's mouthpieces, but I have heard that they are some of the best mouthpieces on the market today.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Ive tried some of his other pieces, and boy are they great players! I wont be trying the DV anytime soon though, unless the price comes way down; theres a point where you are charging too much for a piece, and that is it my freinds. That being said, I dont doubt it being a great piece though

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

when i bought my last horn, the store had a junk box full of mouthpieces, i played through the whole box, and found an Otto Link that plays nice for my applications. my point is that the newest and most expensive mouthpiece is not a cure all.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jazzy JJ
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

HI, has anyone tried a runyon mouthpiece with spoilers? i'm thinking about it and want some feedback.

Reply To Post

2. by Mactenor
        (102 posts)

19 years ago

I HAVE PLAYED THE JODY JAZZ DV TENOR MOUTHPIECE AND I THINK THAT IT IS AWESOME........EDGE TO THE SOUND WITH HUGE PROJECTION.....IT IS TRULY A QUALITY PIECE BUT VERY PRICEY.......

Reply To Post

3. by perrywh
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

I coughed up the 450 for the alto dv and I can tell you that it is far and away the best alto mpc. I have ever played. I sold my vintage guardala gold for alto an hour after I got the piece in the mail. My other mpc is a custom dukoff. If you're serious about your sound and intonation,etc.,hand worked mouthpiesces are the way to go. Have not heard much about sugal or barone that was good. Saw a couple of their mouthpieces and they looked kind of rough for something in the 4-500 dollar category

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
          (138 posts)

18 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what type of alto do you play, perrywh? I'd be interested to know what the mouthpiece plays well with.

Reply To Post

1. by perrywh
            (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for asking. That IS important. My old Guardala gold really lit up my 30's York,but when I got my Black nickel (saxophone.com) Alto,everything changed and I was on the hunt for a mouthpiece that would match this horn. See my reviews of the horn on saxophone.com. I have the matching soprano and it is awesome.

Reply To Post

1. by altosaxman
              (1 post)

15 years ago

Hi perrywh, the black nickel sax you mention, what brand is it?

Reply To Post

2. by stormott
            (1 post)

16 years ago

In the last 4 months I have gone all jody jazz dv. I play an 8 on my alto and an 8* on my tenor. They are hands down the best thing that I have ever played. I get a big warm sound with easy sub tones, tons of power and easy altissimo. I tour all over the US and this piece plays well in all weather and altitude. Reeds that I would have thrown away before I can play on a gig. I will play almost every reed in the box now with minimul triming and balancing. I have spent close to a grand on 2 jody jazz mpc and it was the best money I have ever spent. I was going to get a new alto cuz I hated mine but when I put the jody jazz on it I loved it. If you are thinking about a new mpc or horn try a jody jazz and get ready to spend some cash.

Reply To Post

1. by SHAWNSAX
              (1 post)

16 years ago

I bought two of the tenor hard rubber mouthpieces last year. 7* and 8*. Wasn't quite edgy enough for me, so I made a small wedge--presto---fantastic mouthpieces--best I have ever played. I too put the Guardala away-maybe I can sell it someday. I sold the 8* and kept the 7*. If you can't afford the metal get the hard rubber and make a small wedge.

Reply To Post

1. by King of the jungle
                (1 post)

16 years ago

How do you make a wedge ? Has anyone tried the DV NY ? or the ESP ? or the Classic ?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
                  (547 posts)

16 years ago

I have a Barone hard rubber alto piece that plays just fine, thank you very much.

Reply To Post

2. by saxxsymbol
                  (217 posts)

16 years ago

I have played the classics and liked them. I tried the dv's and loved them. By far the easiest, loudest,most complex sound,and most versatile pieces I have ever played. I use one on alto and tenor.

Reply To Post