Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

Advice on Runyon Tenor Mouthpieces

Does anyone have any feedback on the Runyon Bionix and Quantum Spoiler Tenor MPCs? I don't know their reputation and don't know anyone using them. Would appreciate any input.. Thanks Guys

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jim Keith
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Advice on Runyon Tenor Mouthpieces

my opinion... they suck... kinda like the old alto and tenors on ebay with the fake nickel plating... just old and worn out and not any good... go for a better one even if its just a step up it would be worth it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Jim Keith says: "my opinion... they suck... kinda like the old alto and tenors on ebay with the fake nickel plating... just old and worn out and not any good" but has he actually tried one? Probably not! And exactly what are you referring to when you say old altos and tenors with fake nickel plating? Are you referring to the silver plated horns like the early Conns and Bueschers? Those are some of the best horns ever made, and most people couldn't wear one out in 2 lifetimes! The last thing we need here on saxquest is another kid mouthing off about something they know NOTHING about! I've used a couple Runyan pieces before. The older pieces were pretty good; the newer ones....I'm not so sure. I tried a Quantum Spoiler and it was just a little too much for me. The piece had a very raspy nasally sound on my 10M. I've found that sometimes the spoilers can cause intonation problems as well with certain horns. As you probably know if you've read my posts, I really like the Otto Link pieces; both their hard rubber pieces like the Tone Edge, and the metal Super Tone Master. I have a couple Meyer pieces also that I really like.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

I have quite a few runyon pieces, both new and old. ALL of them are great pieces, with great facing jobs from the factory. Runyon has IMO one of the highest quality controls of most any company these days. My favorite Runyon is the Runyon Custom, I have it in a 7 facing on alto and tenor, and a 9 facing on bari sax. on soprano I use a Runyon model 88 in a 6 facing. The spoiler can cause intonation problems, but mine are all fixed by making sure I use a proper airstream. The minute you go lazy on it, thats when the intonation problems hit. Otherwise, they play great in all registers, are very powerful, and beautifully consistent. Plus they come in all those fun colors!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I have an 88 #5 for alto, the facing is good, but the finish is a bit rough. Not bad for a piece so cheap! If I remember, I tried it with my Yas-23 and had some intonation problems with it. On my yani, I can't remember.

Reply To Post

2. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Advice on Runyon Tenor Mouthpieces/Thanks

Thank you all your advice. From the sound of it, I think I will pass. I currently use all three Rico Graftonite mpcs, and think they are one of the most well rounded on the market. Quite underrated. With the right reed, they do all they should. I am thinking about a David Zagar metal. Junk Dude says he played only that for three years. Best to all.

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Advice on Runyon Tenor Mouthpieces/Thanks

I like the Junkdude. :)

Reply To Post

4. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Advice on Runyon METAL Jaguar Tenor Mouthpiece

Runyon Jaguar Tenor : Any experience/input on this one please.

Reply To Post

5. by ronsan54
          (2 posts)

4 months ago

Great mouthpiece great intonation warm sound I play them on all my saxophones a 5 facing on all tenor alto and soprano. I won't play on anything but a Jaguar.

Reply To Post

6. by ronsan54
          (2 posts)

4 months ago

Great mouthpiece great intonation warm sound I play them on all my sales a 5 facing on all tenor alto and soprano. I won't play on anything but a Jaguar.

Reply To Post